Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Net Holder Help?

Hey everyone!

I'm not sure if this was posted already or if it belongs somewhere else but mods- feel free to move or delete if I'm covering a topic that has already been beaten to a fine pulp.

This past year, my dad and I have struggled with finding the best way to secure our nets. We usually end up shoving the handle down our wading belts as we both have sling packs. I've messed around with the magnetic cords to keep the net a bit closer after I use the net but have found when I go to re-attach the net to the magnet and clip on my pack, it's not that easy to connect and usually end up just using the tether to make sure my net doesn't stray too far.

I've been looking into gear retractors and have found a few that seem to have the pull strength to retract my net but I'm slightly hesitant to try one out. Plus it's basically the end of the season so I wouldn't be able to really give it a shot until spring.

Does anyone have experience with using a retractor/zip to keep their net closer? If so, which one and how's it been working for you?

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Net Holder Help?

I don't use it for a net but I use the Simms retractor for my wading staff. They seem to be well made, mine is 4 seasons old with no issues. Provided you net is not super heavy this retractor may work for you. Length of the wire would be the only concern but that would depend on where you were able to mount it.

I get what you mean about the magnetic types, I have one and it's easy to reach behind and grab the net handle but getting it back together can be tough. It is possible that many of us who have this problem are also wearing a jacket with a hood. In my own experience it is the hood bunched behind my neck (when not in use) that is the real culprit when trying to get those two magnets to marry up again.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Landing Net Retractor

I attach one of these on the back of my vest just under the collar. It works great for me. I use the smaller size for my nippers. Best zinger out there, imo. Not sure wear you would attach it since you use a sling.

Now I've tried most things including, magnetic holders, wonderful for leaving your net hung on a barbed wire fence 3 miles back.
    Bungee cords, snag on something and hits you in the back, if your lucky, when it lets go.
    Tucked down the belt, perfect for constantly tripping you up.
    I now carry it clipped to my belt via a dog clip, not perfect. I intend to get a net and holster before next year, if I can find a suitable one., I have seen people using them but none can remember where they got them. (P.S. when I say holster i don't mean those webbing loops).
    Last edited by bumble54; 11-07-2018 at 02:33 PM.

I've used the magnetic one for years without any major problems, though from time to time I just can't seem to find the connection. Last year I was fishing with my son and a guide. I left my vest in the car and off we went. When the guide decided to head further down river with my son he gave me his net 'just in case'. It was attached to an Orvis retractor. First one I'd ever used and I came away thinking that it was so much easier than the magnetic holder. I'm still using the magnet, but if/when I get around to it I think I'll switch over to a retractor.

The Simms branded staff ones that Ard refereed to and the ones Dillon likes are "Gear Keepers". Originally developed for scuba and military applications with industrial plastics and indestructo braid cording, these multi size and attachment retractors are simply the best and not too costly either. I utilize them in screw-on configuration for both my Abel and Hatch Nippers, my wading staff and laminated wood, hand knotted bag net off the back of my vest, that Gear Keeper is not only big and strong but lockable to keep the net tether extended.

I bought a cheap retractor at Sportsman's Warehouse last year. I made sure to check the length of the cord before I bought it. I clip it to the back belt loop of my waders and shove the net handle in my wader belt at my back. Working OK for me so far. It seems to stay put OK, and I pretty much forget about it until I get back in the truck, then it reminds me. My net is pretty small, and I plan to get a bigger one. I have some concern about stressing the stitches of that back belt loop. I've toyed with the idea of making a holster to fit the handle of the net to go in the same spot where I put it under my belt, but I haven't had enough problems to put me to work on it.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

10. Default Re: Net Holder Help?

I carry a long handle net and use one of these - it works great

Smith Creek Net Holster

Blog Entries

I'm not sure how this net sling actually works, but it looks interesting:

http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/iko...ing-net-sling/
    Larry

Appears to be a big, stretchy rubber band.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast