Fighting Butts w/ Storage?

GreenMtn

Reaction score
Getting a superlight reel onto a 4-6 wt rod has prompted me to begin a search. Presently I have a 4 oz reel which on both my 4 and 6 wt leads to a painfully tip-heavy condition. I've considered wrapping the reel arbor with lead tape but that's just going to lead to a 5.7 oz reel. If I could find a way to add weight further down the butt I could add less weight and still get a balanced rod. That leads to my question; has anyone seen or heard of a simple "fighting butt" attachment that I could pack with lead, quarters, etc?

arfishinbear

Reaction score
maybe buy a fighting butt , hollow the center with a dremel tool, then epoxy some splitshot or bb's ?
Bear

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to send Orvis cane rods to their shop when an older gentleman named Ron White worked there. I would send the rods with reels and lines and ask that he "Spike" (my name for it) the reel seat in order to provide a rod that would balance perfectly at the point directly behind the winding check when laced up with line. You can sit the rods on the tip of your index finger and they simply balance there. I do not know how he accomplished this nor do I know that it assists in casting or fatigue but it sure makes me happy with my rods.

For graphite I haven't went to such lengths but have gotten over the light weight thing when it comes to reels for 9" or longer rods. I used to use a Hardy St Aidan on my 9' 5wt. PM 10 Orvis in order to achieve a balance point as I have described. It did the trick and gave me a tremendous capacity for backing and that comes in handy when you get into a big guy.

I would advise spiking your reel seats if you know a rod smith with the skill and the patience to do it for you. I've never done my own but would if I could not find the right reel to provide balance. I sent the cane rods in to the maker in order to preserve any value they may hold. You may be able to contact your maker (no pun intended) and request this service. Remember to describe what you want and send the line and reel that you intend to use with the rod. Make sure they weight the rod with the line strung through the guides because that makes a difference when it comes to perfect balance.

Some people think I' anal? I'm just kinda particular, right?

Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Green,

Don't let the expense thing get in your way, I forget what it cost me to have a rod done by the Orvis shop but it was worth it and I will keep the rods and be glad I did it until I am no longer able to fish with them.

Not meaning to disagree with Rip on this issue but if it is what you want, then do it. Now is the time if you are down for the winter. Don't worry, I'll help you spend your money........................ it'll be cheaper than a full tank of gas.

Ard

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I wasn't implying that this wasn't worth doing
Just that the guy in the post that I linked to made his new butt from silver :icon_eek:
A little extravagant in my mind
I would have sprung for a different reel

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Rip,

I always go with the reel first, it seems you can always get what you need for weight. My quandary was a custom rod that I really wanted a vintage Princess to balance with. That's how I got started in seeking professional shop help. The folks at O. Co. modified a fighting butt on a 1964 Lt. Salmon rod for me also with good results.

I'm with you on staying away from the precious metals for weight. I think they packed mine with soft lead like Loon sells.

A.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Why does it have to be a butt or extension? If you can get the cap off the bottom of the reel seat you should see the bottom of the blank which is hollow. Put the weight into the blank and replace the cap. You can even use something removable like lead shots in clay so you can change the balance later if you switch reels or line. Don't know if this will work, but you have all winter to play with it...

GreenMtn

Reaction score
I didn't even know you could do that. Not sure how to go about getting that end off. I suspect on Orvis and Sage rods it's permanently epoxied in.