Need and utility of wading staffs

srock

Reaction score
As one approaching 69 I am thinking that a wading staff might ensure greater stability. Up to this point I do not think I have needed one, yet weaker legs, as little less balance, and a little less strength all point to using a wading staff, especially in streams with moderate current and slippery rocks. I am thinking about a folstaff and wonder whether anyone has much experience with this tool or other wading staffs. Do they help much or simply add extra baggage that can get in the way and cause more problems than they resolve? What has been your experience with wading staff and the folstaff folder in particiular.

dillon

Reaction score
https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...hinking-wading-staffs.html?highlight=Folstaff

There was a lengthy discussion last summer in the above thread. The two leading collapsible staffs appear to be Folstaff and Simms. I had both until a Simms buckle failed and the staff took up residency on the bottom of the Deschutes. The folstaff is solid and sturdy but sometimes the ferrules stick. A little paraffin helps with that. Be sure to the right length. It should it the armpit. I'm impressed you have made it this long without one. Bet you haven't fished the Deschutes...

brownbass

Reaction score
I have and use a Simms wading staff. It depends on where I am fishing how much use it gets but itis almost always on my side. The Folstaff may be the better staff if for no other reason than it is a more compact and simple staff. The Simms hangs up a little more because of its length. I have noticed that the end of the sheath has holes worn in it from walking through brush while my friends Folstaff vinyl coated sheath looks fine. Overall I like my Simms staff and use it as needed. I do recommend that you and everyone have one.

Bill

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been owning one since my late 40's and am 64 now. I still fish a lot without one or I have it in the sheath on my belt and don't need to deploy it but...….. When I wade any number of swift boulder strewn rivers here I always use it, always. They are like a life preserver (PFD) better to have and not need than visa versa.

Ard

tpo

Reaction score
I think I fished a few Driftless streams without a staff, but here in the west I fish fairly swift water with lots of slick boulders and never go without a staff. Even with a staff I drink the river water more often than I care to admit. I have a cheap telescoping Cabelas staff that's held up well over the years. It's been bent in rocks lots of times but I've hammered it fairly straight and it keeps going. Recently I made several staffs using hardwood dowels, the parts cost only about $15 and they should hold up well. I posted a pic of it on the forum not long ago, if you care to see them you can search my posts. Good luck.

Tom

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I use a ski pole. It doesn't collapse, but I clip it to my belt with a carabiner and it really doesn't get in the way.

trout stalker

Reaction score
Years ago I never used a wading staff. If I felt that I needed one I would jeep find a stick and use it to cross the stream / river. Now that I am older I find myself wanting to own one. I may not use it all the time but having it would be an asset.

dharkin

Reaction score
I bought a Folstaf from L.L. Bean several years ago for a trip to the Big Hole River. It folds very compact and fits in a sheath that's attached to my wading belt. It's just like any other tool, you may not always need it but it's there when you do. My fishing buddy said "cute staff" when I wore it for the first time.

Several days later, while crossing a tricky part of the river, he watched me cross with relative ease so he followed me. At about the mid-point of the crossing, his eyes started to get rather wide and his face kind of tightened up as he realized that he was in trouble. He had grabbed a stick from the shore that he was going to use to cross but didn't plan on the lack of "bite" the stick would have on the bottom of the river. I was able to toss my staff to him and he couldn't believe the difference. "Holy ***, that was close" he said. That same day, we drove to Twin Bridges (or Dillon) so he could buy one at the fly shop (for top dollar!!!!!).

He doesn't fish without it now :D

+1 for what dillon said, the size is very important.

Here is a link to the site and a sizing chart;

Fly-fishing accessories, Folstaf wading staff, Volkstaf and Travlr hiking and walking staffs by Fly-Tyers Carry-All

ddb

Reaction score
I have used one for decades. Mostly ski poles. They not only help in balance over fast flows and snot rocks, they are useful on slower, colored water to probe ahead for holes, snags etc. especially when crossing unfamiliar waters. They of course also have uses in the walks-in-and-out over uneven ground and steep spots.

Now that my knees are bad at 76 I use one all the time outside the home too but now I use a trekking pole with removable rubber tip. Never got used to canes.

ddb

rodneyshishido

Reaction score
I use a hiking staff that doesn't readily fold up. I use one of those magnetic net holders to keep it on me when not is use. The safety lanyard keeps the river from stealing from me. I fish mostly freestone streams so I use it a lot.

silver creek

Reaction score
^^^^^ What PT said.

You only need to buy it once.

With the Folstaf, I can deploy it when needed. Otherwise it is on my hip.

The folks at Folstaf will repair and rehabilitate it and get it back to you within one week of it's arrival. I have had my original Folstaff for 35+ years and it had a new bungee cord and the tip section replaced.

Buy the thicker 3/4" version.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I have ALWAYS carried a wading staff, starting in my 20's as a guide. Some of the water we wade fished back then would have been challenging in a raft, it was deep and fast, and we routinely were in near chest deep wading conditions- rarely did I not have water level stain marks on my vest above the lower pockets. I thought at first acquisition that it was merely a smart move for safety and convenience of clients, then I began using it myself and it became a regular accessory. It has saved my butt on more than one occasion, not just from falling but as a tool to upright yourself once you are in the drink and saturated,and, to keep from finding the next mine shaft sink hole the hard way. I guess even in my 20's I wasn't too cool to fish without one, and no experienced angler would have a negative retort, even back then they understood the value. Shy of fishing in my pre and early 20's, or on small knee deep creeks, there has never been an occasion in the last 35 years or so that I have not carried a staff in my standard inventory. I actually have a couple, which most have already been mentioned here, and I highly advocate their usage.

Joefish

Reaction score
I think you would be foolish not to get one. They have saved my but many times. I had an Orvis one that looks a lot like the Folstaff. I always seem to loses the tips. I got a used fishpond staff for 25 bucks. I like it better than the Orvis. It’s lighter but just as strong and it has a rubber tip. It’s easier to fold up. But to be honest I just have it tethered to my waist. Once I feel the need to unfold it I just let it float in the water next to me and grab it when I need it. It also helps navigating boulders on the side of the stream and going up and down hills to down to the water and back up. To me it’s an essential tool. I am in my 50’s. Get one. It could save your life.

brownbass

Reaction score
I use a ski pole. It doesn't collapse, but I clip it to my belt with a carabiner and it really doesn't get in the way.
A friend I fish with used a beaver stick for a year or two and then decided to upgrade to a ski pole. They work fine. I think I would eventually trip over it and swim, When not activly wading or moving around I like to collapes my staff.

Bill

Bill

philip43

Reaction score
IMHO if you are thinking "maybe I may need a wading staff". It is time to purchase and use one. At 75 y.o. I know that a staff has made my wading much more comfortable. Adios Philip

JoJer

Reaction score
Saturday is my first trip with a FF club I just joined (weather permitting). Part of my prep was to sew and tape and semi-reconfigure my low buck wading staff holster that I got at Sportsman's Warehouse. Also waxed the joints on the staff. I'm going to find some plastic and borrow the design of the Folstaff holster. I figured out I needed a staff when I found myself using my shooting sticks in lieu of when I was deer hunting. I have two ski poles I bought years ago and never used. Now I bring them along for spares in case someone else needs one.