Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  37
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need and utility of wading staffs

I use a Simms wading staff, whether I'm wading or not I always use it, just that little extra for balance and stability. It always stays in my truck so I don't leave home without it.

Denny

2. Likes hollisd, mcnerney liked this post

I have found that a four foot one-inch oak dowel rod with a bicycle grip on the top with a lanyard and cane tip on the bottom works well for me. I install the lanyard under the grip with a two inch wood screw and a large washer feeding the lanyard out the hole in the grip. Inexpensive and very strong. I attach the staff to my vest with the lanyard and let it drift while I fish.

jborn

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

We had an ice storm last night, I've been using mine today to help make sure I stay vertical going to the barn and the wood pile.

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Thanks for all the great advice. I received my folstaff today and plan to use it.SR

8. Likes brownbass, mcnerney liked this post
  9. Default Re: Need and utility of wading staffs

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    The folstaff is solid and sturdy but sometimes the ferrules stick. A little paraffin helps with that. ...
    I almost never fish without my folstaff. Once you start using one you wonder how you got along without it for so long and you miss it when you forget it in the car.

My solution to the ferrules sticking is just to bang the side on a rock. I don't leave dents it in just enough to loosen it up. So far 100% success over many many years. I also keep a pair of arrow pullers to take the occasional stuck flyrod apart.

10. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Hey srock,

congrats on the purchase, i bet you going to love it. Let us know what you think about the staff after you use it.

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by srock View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice. I received my folstaff today and plan to use it.SR
    Is it me or does the Orvis one look slightly better than Folstaf's? I don't know if there's any difference it might just be the aesthetics of the photos.

How wide does the staff fold down and how annoying do you anticipate that being on the water? I know it folds down to roughly a foot in length but it packs quite wide in the holster.

The alternative is a staff like Simms which doesn't pack as wide but is quite tall and cumbersome on a wading belt.

14. Likes mcnerney liked this post

My "cheapie" staff folds into a diameter just small enough for me to get my hand around. If there was another section, I wouldn't be able to hold them all. The holster mine came with is made of thin plastic coated fabric, the belt loop is about 3" wide, the pocket is about 4". I taped some thin plastic inside the belt loop and inside the pocket to keep the holster hanging right and to keep the pocket open so I can put the folded staff away without looking at it.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

16. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

My original staff was an Orvis model, but the sections got stuck and I could never get them loose, then I moved to a Simms model, it is ok, but I really don't care so much for the height of it folded in the pouch on my wading belt.......kind of wish I had gone with Folstaff. What I primarily use is a Black Diamond collapsing hiking pole. I put a carbiner in the hand loop and when I'm fishing I attach that to my wading belt after I collapse a section or two so the staff doesn't get wrapped in the loose fly fishing line while casting.
    My next wading staff will probably be a Folstaff or maybe a custom staff being sold by a member on the Spey Pages, it looks really well made.

FS: Custom-machined Wading Staffs - Spey Pages
    Larry

I have a collapsing wading staff, and the lesson I have learned is, if the water is too deep or too fast, stay the hell out of it. I got into a situation by accident like that even with my staff, and the bottom of it got caught between the rocks and the staff was shaking violently. As I was trying to dislodge the staff the staff came apart and my knees buckled and I went under. Jacked up my left knee real bad, but the adrenaline kicked in and I came out.

If you feel you need a staff, that's your decision. But I recommend getting one that does not fold up or become telescopic. Get a one piece staff because they are sturdier.

In your case, being the age you are, I don't see you doing anything daring. It sounds as though you want something to just help with slippery conditions and balance, so a staff for you would be a very wise investment, just get a one piece staff.

And no, they really don't get in the way while fishing.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

19. Likes jajohn liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast