Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hat HOF

Default Re: Hat HOF

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post

Something that is eluding me, and if you know of a resource please inform me, is I'd like an up-and-downer as popularized by Lefty and Mark Sosin but with a long 4 1/2" bill. They used to exist but now I can't find one, even on-line. My fixed flap hat has a neck flap that is long and soft; it blows about in the wind and I want a stiffer, shorter one.
    I have 4 up-downers and while the brims aren't as long as your "Art Lee style" hats, they are all both longer and wider than a regular cap
    Personally I rarely wear my caps with the extra long bills. Not good in the constant wind that I always seem to fish in.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

It is true that long bills catch more wind and can be a challenge when running in a boat for this same reason. Still they offer me several advantages as they did for Art too and Ernest Hemingway before us and commercial billfish harpooners before him. They are a sight fishing asset and I adopted their use when a young fly fisher starting with one I bought in Dan Baily's and they have been a signature hat type for me ever since. There used to be long billed up downers but they have seemed to disappear. The last one I had was a medium billed Simms "Lefty's Lid" long discontinued and now falling apart (I've touched it up with a spot of glue here and there).

Simms Hat 1 vs.jpg

3. Likes tcorfey liked this post
  4. Default Re: Hat HOF

Quote Originally Posted by bigal36 View Post
    Looks a lot like a Tilley!! Have 3 of them....top quality
    WHy??

The great thing about tilley's is they replace them when worn out - a hat for life - which reminds me I need to get my second one replaced.

Another feature is of course the pocket in the ttop for emergency loo paper.

5. Likes coug, bumble54 liked this post

Ernest Hemingway
    ernest-hemingway-fishing-the-old-man-and-the-sea.jpg

Hemingway with Marlin.jpg

So, Dillon and I are into our Montana trip and my gray beard has grown in. He's rowing us down the big Missouri and I'm setting in the bow searching for heads with my eyes in the shade of my typical long billed hat. A guy in a boat on the other side of the river who we do not know calls over, "Hey, I like your books!". I regarded tath as one of the better compliments I've received.

sweetandsalt
    W12 179 Missouri R. Rainbow [PS s].jpg

7. Likes rustneversleeps, iv_wjb, tcorfey, myt1 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Ernest Hemingway
    ernest-hemingway-fishing-the-old-man-and-the-sea.jpg

Hemingway with Marlin.jpg

So, Dillon and I are into our Montana trip and my gray beard has grown in. He's rowing us down the big Missouri and I'm setting in the bow searching for heads with my eyes in the shade of my typical long billed hat. A guy in a boat on the other side of the river who we do not know calls over, "Hey, I like your books!". I regarded tath as one of the better compliments I've received.

sweetandsalt
    W12 179 Missouri R. Rainbow [PS s].jpg
    That run below the island is a good one!

9. Likes tcorfey liked this post

11. Likes sweetandsalt, tcorfey liked this post

The incumbent

The challenger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wallace

13. Likes tcorfey liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by original cormorant View Post
    WHy??

The great thing about tilley's is they replace them when worn out - a hat for life - which reminds me I need to get my second one replaced.

You can see the condition of mine and it is just coming up to it's 25 th birthday, gets washed when it really starts to smell and usually filthy, screwed up in the back pocket of my fishing vest the rest of the time, always bounces back, won't fish in the sun without it.

Quote Originally Posted by original cormorant View Post
    WHy??

3 different models!!

16. Default Re: Hat HOF

Quote Originally Posted by bigal36 View Post
    3 different models!!
    That figures - but a bit of a luxury.

When I bought mine it didn't have a dark under-brim - not sure if they were available then. If I had to buy a new one it would have a dark underbrim.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast