Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

Default Re: Simms Freestone vs G3 vs???

On the Featherweights: The day I tried on each of the pairs of boots for a side by side comparison, the guy who manages the local fly shop had just used a pair of Featherweights that he picked up earlier. He loved them. I was in the market for a year around boot so I did not try them. That said he uses the G3 -fall/winter and Featherweight spring/summer combo and is very happy.

BOA lacing system: When I first saw them I heard the voice in my head go off "Danger Will Robinson". to me they just looked like they were itching to get caught snagged or just break and leave you screwed somewhere unpleasant. When I went on a little exploratory trip up to the Salmon River, NY recently I saw a pair in one of the fly shops and asked what the experience was in terms of durability. The guys just laughed out loud and said that they made a fair amount of money from fixing busted BOA lacing systems. Always key to me, none of the guys who can get this gear for free even wanted a pair. Just some food for thought as I know that system has some appeal to folks who are just tired of lacing up their boots in the "old school" style. Cheers.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

2. Likes omas liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
    I just got the Headwaters with the BOA lacing system. I wasn't sure about the system when I first saw it.

I did some research on it, those BOA laces are stupid strong. I never carried an extra set of laces for my old boots with regular laces.

They're lighter than my old Simms boots. I love em so far. Getting in and out is much easier, especially getting out. It's gonna be real nice in the colder months using them.
    I've been using the BOA system for years with all my cycling shoes (MTB+road). Never had a failure. The system has literally out lasted the shoe in each and every case.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundriver64 View Post
    I've been using the BOA system for years with all my cycling shoes (MTB+road). Never had a failure. The system has literally out lasted the shoe in each and every case.
    Exactly the dials work cycling but weren't designed to be submerged underwater for their lifespan thus will likely fail prematurely fishing and you're SOL when they do. Whereas with laces you pull out the backup in your tackle bag.

I have a pair of boots (Korkers) with BOA laces. They're four years old and still on the original laces.
    I have a spare set of laces. I've never needed them. I think I paid $8 for them.
    Last edited by plecain; 09-21-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. -- Henry David Thoreau

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by hollisd View Post
    Exactly the dials work cycling but weren't designed to be submerged underwater for their lifespan thus will likely fail prematurely fishing and you're SOL when they do. Whereas with laces you pull out the backup in your tackle bag.
    Oh yeah, the extreme stresses on the shoes from pedaling, the grit, the mud etc., is such a docile environment, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by plecain View Post
    I have a pair of boot (Korkers) with BOA laces. They're four years old and still on the original laces.
    I have a spare set of laces. I've never needed them. I think I paid $8 for them.
    Every pair of cycling shoes I've bought comes with the little allen key and spare lace. Never had to use the spare lace.

I have both. The G3 has been my wade fishing boot for over 4 years. I put the simms studs on them. They are still going strong and I am out there a lot. I've hiked many miles in them both wet wading and with waders on. These are my workhorse boots and have taken a beating and still look great.

I use the Freestone as my boat boot; no studs. I haven't hiked in them much since they are a boat boot. And I only wear them early and late season when I'm wearing waders in a boat. I've only used them a couple years. But the durability seems on par with the G3 so far.
    There are no flying fish in Montana or Wyoming.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123