Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac, Salmon River, NY and soon Sandy River, Oregon

Default Some of this gear seems redundant...maybe

Hi guys this is my first post so go easy, I'm here to learn. While not at all new to the outdoors, I hunt, backpack, camp, hike, etc. I am brand new to fly fishing. I sat down with a local guru yesterday and he opened up the firehose of knowledge as I took notes. Going over my notes today it seems like three items on the list of strongly suggested tackle would be redundant if you just brought along a decent multi-tool:
    1- Needle nose pliers- for crushing barbs
    2- Clippers and scissors pliers- to cut leader material
    3-hemostats, forceps or tweezers to remove hooks from fish.

My current, 25 year old, multi-tool has needle nose pliers, with integrated wire cutters and, at least from the newbie's eye, it would seem that they could handle the duties of these three tools in one. Am I missing something or did the traditional tackle list just not get updated in light of advancement in multi-tools? Thanks in advance.

2. Likes Ard, slipshift liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Some of this gear seems redundant...maybe

Hi Rat- and Welcome! The forum is a wealth of information and a great resource for new and old alike. Your tool would potentially get the job done, but.....I'm assuming you haven't spent much time in the water yet...when changing flies, tippets, etc. it's not easy to grab, unfold, set-up a multi tool, while in current, juggling and balancing a rod, to clip line, wet hands, potentially dropping the tool into the water....let alone trying to do so after bringing a fish to hand for release. I can chop wood with a machete, but I'd rather have an axe. hemostats, nippers, etc. can be secured by lanyards or zingers and offer quick and easy access without set-up. After you spend some time fishing, you'll discover what works best for you....in the beginning, guessing wont do you much good, buy the cheap basics and fish....upgrade after you discover your own personal preferences. Hope that helps.

4. Likes mcnerney, myt1, dynaflow, rangerrich99, triggw liked this post
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, City Rat. I agree, you can use your multi-tool for most things, but as outlaw says, when you're on the water, you don't always have enough hands as it is, so I also suggest a few essentials: hemostats and nippers, at the very least. As far as crimping barbs, do that at home, while watching television.

And BTW, lots of knowledgeable people on here, willing to help. So, don't be afraid to ask more questions. Everyone was a beginner, once ...some of us (me) more than once.

Welcome,
    steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

I use my needle nosed pliers for cutting line, hook modifications and repair, and removing flies from the fish. I don’t bring along nippers or hemostats as a rule.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Remember you're going to drop 2/3 in the river and learn to god bless things like zingers hence, redundancy.

10. Likes mcnerney, ts47, scotty macfly, Ard, bumble54 liked this post
    Blog Entries

This is exactly what I meant when I said as you fish you'll discover personal preferences. You have to remember that fly fishing isn't limited in species, salt water anglers, Bass or other warm water fisherman, will all prefer different gear than say a high country creek trout guy. Your fishing environment will somewhat dictate gear choices. For instance you wouldn't be trimming the tag off a size 22 with pliers, no more than you'd be removing the streamer from a bonefish with hemostats. Let your species dictate your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    I use my needle nosed pliers for cutting line, hook modifications and repair, and removing flies from the fish. I don’t bring along nippers or hemostats as a rule.

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Wow, This is excellent feedback. Thanks so much. I definitely take your points about not enough hands. I also hunt waterfowl and spend a fair bit of time in waders hip deep and making sure that you have the things that you need close at hand is a consideration in that world as well. If it helps you guys, my initial foray into fly fishing will be mountain stream fly fishing for trout and also some bass a bit farther down the mountain. Pretty much every stream where there are trout is approx a 1/2 hour to an hour's hike in. That's what spurred this question, it's like looking hard at a packing list before a backpacking trip vetting what you really need , what can serve dual purposes and what is not a "need" but a "nice to have". Because I am greener than green in this sport, I turned to you guys to help steer me along on this. Any additional thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks again.

14. Likes cooutlaw liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by City Rat View Post
    Wow, This is excellent feedback. Thanks so much. I definitely take your points about not enough hands. I also hunt waterfowl and spend a fair bit of time in waders hip deep and making sure that you have the things that you need close at hand is a consideration in that world as well. If it helps you guys, my initial foray into fly fishing will be mountain stream fly fishing for trout and also some bass a bit farther down the mountain. Pretty much every stream where there are trout is approx a 1/2 hour to an hour's hike in. That's what spurred this question, it's like looking hard at a packing list before a backpacking trip vetting what you really need , what can serve dual purposes and what is not a "need" but a "nice to have". Because I am greener than green in this sport, I turned to you guys to help steer me along on this. Any additional thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks again.
    Knowing your target species and geography helps a great deal. For remote trout streams you wont require lot's of gear. As to the original tool only question, you should be able to get by with hemostats and nippers, which combined weight will be less than that of a multi-tool, however, you may just carry the multi-tool anyway as it is a handy to have item in remote areas, a vest or small sling pack or hip pack should carry all the gear you need...tippet, fly box, extra leader, floatant, bug spray, sunscreen, rain jacket, etc. minimalist is ok in most instances, unless you prefer to carry a backpack with everything and leave it streamside while fishing.

16. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post

Ok I'm tracking you. The good news is I took some time and grabbed a vest that has a small hydration pack/ day hike pack built in. It holds everything that you mentioned with ease plus rain gear and an extra fleece pullover just in case weather on the mountain forgets that it is supposed to sunny with a wafting warm breeze in March and April. Thanks again to all for the guidance and the gentle treatment of the newbie. Cheers.
    Last edited by City Rat; 03-11-2019 at 10:56 AM.

18. Likes spm, dennyk liked this post

Something like this would check a lot of your boxes:

Scissor Forceps with Power Jaws [platinum] - StreamWorks - Affordable Fly Fishing Gear

Also, for cutting tippet, nippers are probably better for that, as they allow you to cut the tippet closer to the knot.

20. Thanks dynaflow, City Rat thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast