Options for carrying waders on a hike up to a stream

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
I am not at all sure of where this thread should be posted, so feel free to move it wherever it should be. I have searched here and read a couple of threads that are close but I still would like to get you guys thoughts on this more directly. I have been checking over the maps to some of the fishing spots on several of the trout streams on the mountains around here They are averaging 3/4 mile to 1.5 miles to get up to and then more if you fish up from where ever you put in. This is fishing for trout in pools in the stream, not hiking up to a lake. So either chest waders or hip waders as you will be in the water while casting. I know from my waterfowl time that one of the fastest ways to tear up a good pair of waders is to get them snagged on briars, vines and thorns as you work your way through brush to your objective. I also know that hiking in waders is one of the least pleasant hiking experiences, on flat ground, let alone hiking up trails and several of the trails to several streams cross or overlay the Appalachian Trail (AT). So my plan is to just hike as normal with my normal hiking boots and socks until I get to a place stream side that I like and off come hiking boots and on come waders, hip or chest, depending on water level. Ok so my question is this how do you guys carry your waders while hiking, especially if you are hiking with hiking poles? I already have a fishing vest with water, snacks, rain gear, and fishing junk in it. So far the only thing that I have come up with is:

1- Web strap/sling - Roll the waders around the boots and lash and buckle the roll together neatly and either attach it to my fishing vest pack ( Fishpond Wasatch pack vest) or hook a shoulder strap to the roll.

2- Small back pack - Throw the rolled up waders in that and then "front ruck" the "wader pack" up the trail. I have to say that I have done the front ruck set up when we go duck hunting as a very large decoy bag is on my back and my regular hunting pack is strapped on the front. This makes for a slow, less than optimally balanced walk in to a pond. I would not look forward to taking that show on the road going up hill.

As such gents, I am seeking your ideas. How have you guys skinned this cat? Thanks.

cpiercem

Reaction score
In this kind of situation I generally wet wade. I do use neoprene socks with my regular wading shoes, and quick dry nylon pants.

If it is cold and I really need the waders in the brush, I wear a pair of snake chaps over them to protect from the sticker bushes. Wild roses, berries, hawthorn, and other nasties really shread waders!

If it is a long hike then the lightest pair of waders and boots that I own go in a backpack until I start fishing.

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
Im sure I am the exception but I wear my boots and waders on the hike in and out. I have a pair of lightweight Patagonia boots and a custom fit pair of G3's that both are so comfortable that i put them on in the hotel in the morning and take them off there at night. Only time that bit me was on a 7 mile hike with temps in the high 80's, but besides that I am good to go. Both products have held up well to bushes and rocks on the way there and back. I would not have said this before I got a pair of waders that fit me well;)

Good luck, Kev

denver1911

Reaction score
I now wet wade those type situations 100% of the time. Before I figured that out, I would generally wear my waders in. For me, 3/4 to 1.5 miles isn’t that far and the trails I use are thorn-free. I have, however, carried waders/boots before that too, so I have some experience to rely on here.

Best was a small backpack. Don waders, switch boots, store hiking boots in backpack and stash along trail. I’ve also gone low-tech and stuck them in a plastic grocery sack and hand-carried them. Again, 3/4 to 1.5 miles isn’t that far.

el jefe

Reaction score
And now, for something completely different...

I wet wade in quick dry nylon fishing pants, wearing Simms Riprap shoes and wet wading socks. For protection and warmth (if necessary), I take along a pair of Paclite pants to put over the fishing pants. You can wear these over the fishing pants wet wading. They keep the wind and rain off of you, and when paired with a Paclite jacket form a formidable and breathable barrier against the elements, and are relatively good at pounding through brush. For whatever reason, rainwater makes me colder than stream water, so even though your legs and feet may get wet from wading, you are still comfortable, and will not get cold from the wind on the hike back out. Paclite gear takes up very little space, and weights next to nothing, and gives you great flexibility. You can take along a pair of light shoes and spare socks if the mood suits you, and it all weighs much less than waders and boots.

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
Great feedback. Thanks very much. If I was starting from scratch, i.e. no waders at all those Patagonia ones stow away nicely.

I hear several of you about wet wading and I have the quick dry pants etc that would work. I just don't like hiking with wet feet.

Honestly the way that the water levels around here work, I will only need to use chest waders on these streams until approx late May - early June. After that the water level will drop low enough that I can roll in my hip waders, right through September. I think what I'm going to do is adapt some 1.5 inch wide web strapping and buckles from another outdoor application and rig up something. I just tried and I can roll both chest and hip waders down pretty well. All I have to do is lash them down, kinda cowpoke bed roll on the back of his saddle style and then attach a shoulder strap of some time. Hike in in my normal hiking gear and when I get to the stream, put my boots in my pack and pop on the waders and fish. When I'm done hop out of the waders, roll them up, sling the roll over my shoulder and hike out. Once I get things organized I'll come back here and post up pics of the end product so the next guy who wants a solution for this dilemma. Thanks again, this discussion helped confirm the fact that there is not an off the shelf solution so I need to put something together myself.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I am pretty much like el jefe, if the air temps are in the mid 40's and above I wet wade in quick dry nylon fishing pants, use Simms Riprap shoes and neoprene wading socks (sometimes a pair of lightweight polyester long johns too). If I am hiking in it is usually to a small stream so no problem wet wading. However, if it is colder than 45 I have a pair of waist high waders with built-in hiking boots from Cabelas. They don't sell them anymore but they look like nylon pants and a hiking boot (even have the cargo pockets), those keep me warm and dry and I can hike comfortably. If I wear my chest high waders I am usually not hiking very far.

Regards,

Tim C.

runningfish

Reaction score
I don't like wet wading unless fishing from a boat or from the shore so I have no choice but to wear a pair of waders. And I dress for the hike back.

I have a pair Orvis Silver Sonic chest waders and Patagonia Gunnison wading pants and both can be rolled very tightly and weight very little. I would just strap one of them on the backpack and wear the wading booths for the hike. I liked the Gunnison because they are very light, flexible and feels like wearing regular pants. Their waders neoprene socks aren't to loose either so I could wear them in my mountain biking shoes for the hike and for wading. Inside the waders and depends on the weather, I could be wearing thermal pants with cargo pants or just 3/4 training shorts.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Hi CR,
This is what I do whether wet wading or bringing along my waders.

Wearing waders while hiking in or keeping in bag?

While I wouldn't carry both my wet wading and dry wading gear at the same time, this shows that it will all fit into a small 20L day pack.

Contents: Waders ( Size LL ), Dry Socks, Neoprene ( wet ) wading sock, wading boots ( size 13's ), 13 gallon trash bags, paper towels and externally there are two 24 oz. insulated water bottles. Even when loaded like this, there is still ample room for snacks, etc.

These little packs can be had for around $15 and the only thing I do to them is shoot them twice with waterproofing spray. This doesn't make them waterproof, just helps to keep the water rolling off this ducks back in a light rain.

I also wear a fishing fanny pack but am not opposed to just carrying one box of flies, a spare leader, tippet and nippers, etc. in my shirts box pockets
Dave

jeffnc

Reaction score
I put on a lightweight pair of hiking shoes/sneakers, toss the waders over my neck/shoulders, and carry one boot in each hand (finger through the loop on the heel). When I get to the stream, I hide my hiking shoes under a log or something, fish up and walk back to the shoes, then reverse the process.