Garage Rod Storage ideas?

durangobrad

Reaction score
Looking for ideas for storing fly rods and spinning rods up and out of the way. SO probably from the ceiling. Bikes and workbench will be taking up the wall storage. I probably have about 20 rods that I like to store assembled and ready to go. Pictures would be great!

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I have learned long ago to never ever hang or store fully assembled rods in a horizontal position. The reason is they developed a set, which is a bend in the rod. When I stored my rods vertically, I never had that problem again. And all these rods were conventional rods, not fly rods.

My fly rods all are in their tubes sitting vertically in my fly tying room. They never are kept in the garage. My bamboo rods hang vertically in their socks in a closet.

durangobrad

Reaction score
you guys need to fish more, I often walk out the door grab a rod and am fishing within minutes!!! Perhaps supporting the rod closer to the butt end and letting pressure off the tip so there is no bow in the rod would work?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
you guys need to fish more, I often walk out the door grab a rod and am fishing within minutes!!! Perhaps supporting the rod closer to the butt end and letting pressure off the tip so there is no bow in the rod would work?
I leave an Orvis 9 foot 9 weight assembled at the cabin during the summer when I can just walk to the boat dock and cast. I just stand it as close to vertical as possible in a corner. Every fall when I'm leaving I take it apart and put it in the tube. If there is one rod you use all the time then maybe do what I do with mine. I really can't imagine that even if I lived at the cabin full time I would have all my rods assembled. These things are personal choice type issues so you'll have to figure this one out I guess. Fishing? I go as often as I want to when things aren't frozen.

durangobrad

Reaction score
Perhaps I will trim down the number of rods I keep assembled. I'll take a look at some for the ones that I have had hanging for quite some time. They are all graphite and I have never noticed any lasting bend, but I also haven't looked closely. Just kidding about the fishing of course. But I do like to keep some strung up for when I can only get out for a quick outing it buys more time on the water.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Nope. Tried that too and it didn't work. Granted, it does take time for the rod to settle into a set or slight bend by hanging them horizontally. If you do store them vertically, get proper rod holders to keep them straight as possible. Leaning them against a wall will cause them to bend in just a few weeks. Placing a rod in a corner as straight as you can will be fine, but never allow them to lean against the tip.

But hey, they are your rods, so you do whatever you feel best.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Another thing to consider is the tempreture in some garages. If you lived out here you'd never leave your rods rigged, becuase that would mean leaving your fly lines in a broiling hot garage, especially if those garages have unfinished interiors. Add to that the additional heat spilling off of a blistering hot engine and the autos body that has been baking in the sun all afternoon. Then comes winter and freezing temps.

Read your manufacturers product warnings, this often applies to inflatables even deflated ( often inflation valves and seams are heat bonded - excessive heat can weaken that bond ) while others use industrial cements, anything using rubber type contact cements ( boot soles ), waders, mono's etc. Neoprene, used in wader feet, waders and flats / tuber booties will dry and start breaking down in excessive heat.

Dave

JoJer

Reaction score
My fly rods are mostly 2 piece. I put all the line/leader on the reel, take the rod down and store it in a caddy with reel attached. All the fly rods are stored in the house. All the spin rods are stored in the garage, reels on, lines anchored with the little clip on the side of the spool. They travel uncased with the sections rubber banded together. They are stored standing in a rack I made from chunks of plastic packing foam-the buts fit into holes, the tips through holes further up the wall. I wouldn't even store my cheap old composite rods, let alone the graphite ones hanging horizontally in a hot/cold garage and expect them to be straight.

cmcdhuibh

Reaction score
Orangevale Ca.(Sacramento) Estes Park Co.
Never really thought horizontal was bad except on bamboo. My spey rods fit in my truck -tailgate to windshield through the back window so they don't get taken apart. The rods are supported in four places on the ceiling rack in the garage.They are so light but....... it does get very hot here in the summer.

Car7x

Reaction score
My warm water rods are assembled all season in a hot shed. Trout rods would, too, but I don't trout fish much around home, so drive to the MT cabin with those in the tubes, then assemble and transport as follows for a week or 3 months.

I used to transport in a Thule rooftop box, leave them up there overnight, etc. still would, but back in a 4runner again (roll down rear hatch window) and an AWD full size van.

My in-vehicle system is a homemade rod suspension up close to the vehicle headliner with closet rods and bungees. I back away from the shed with 2 in each hand, or grab them off the nails in the front wall of the cabin, bear dance around the trailer tongue - often with a dirt bike for the shuttle on the receiver hitch - poke them into seat backs and headliners, finally get them suspended, from the fighting butts and the last foot of rod, and they will ride there for a half hour or three weeks.

I have a rod broken once or twice a year, always by an angler doing some thing stupid. I have 15 year old sage rods that have spent their lives this way, and they work great right up until somebody slams them in a door. I would never do this with bamboo, but a big reason for that is that I don't own bamboo, because I couldn't do this with it.

reels

Reaction score
I've also heard to store rods vertically if they are going to be sitting awhile.
I ended up just making a few that I hang on the wall of my fly trying room.
While they could be mounted any direction, I did vertical to be safe.

20190403_105544.jpg

20190403_105558.jpg

I just threw some foam rod holders like these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Horizontal-6-Fishing-Rod-Rack/16637400 on a painted piece 1x4 or whatever. Nothing fancy, but works for my needs.

bocianka1

Reaction score
I use two 5 wt rods regularly and I like to keep them ready to go to maximize my time on the water. I also needed somewhere to store all the ice fishing rods my kids use for pan fishing.

Wall space is limited in my garage and I don't have high ceilings so I made a hanging pegboard on a simple wood frame. The pegboard hooks allow me to move and customize the layout to fit various rods. After reading this, I may add a few more hooks for some extra support. But that is the beauty of pegboards, i can add as many support hooks as i need to prevent my rods from deforming.

The whole pegboard is hung on hooks and eye screws from the ceiling and I can swing it upward to get access to the space behind it on the top shelf. The rest of my spin rods are stored in a corner in 2 pieces since I don't use them as often. My garage will never have a car in it. It is unheated, but it never gets super hot in there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

City Rat

Reaction score
Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and
I have learned long ago to never ever hang or store fully assembled rods in a horizontal position. The reason is they developed a set, which is a bend in the rod. When I stored my rods vertically, I never had that problem again. And all these rods were conventional rods, not fly rods.

My fly rods all are in their tubes sitting vertically in my fly tying room. They never are kept in the garage. My bamboo rods hang vertically in their socks in a closet.
I love this site. I am forever learning something new here. Thanks.

weedsnager

Reaction score
I've also heard to store rods vertically if they are going to be sitting awhile.
I ended up just making a few that I hang on the wall of my fly trying room.
While they could be mounted any direction, I did vertical to be safe.

View attachment 16184

View attachment 16183

I just threw some foam rod holders like these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Horizontal-6-Fishing-Rod-Rack/16637400 on a painted piece 1x4 or whatever. Nothing fancy, but works for my needs.
Great Idea !

frickerdog

Reaction score
I'd been a bit concerned about horizontal storage because of bend, but I don't own any super-expensive rods and got a little tired of breaking down the gear every time I fished, so I found a solution. Utilizing Command Hooks, I hung 2 of my 3 set ups in my basement along the main support beam -- one on each side. It easily accommodates the length of the rods and by positioning the Command hooks correctly, you eliminate most, if not all, of the bend. If I'm unlikely to fish for a few weeks, I'll break them down, but in prime fishing season, I can access either rod and be off to the river in minutes. And I never have to worry about temperature problems. Would I do this with an expensive rod? Probably not, but for less expensive gear, it is a good alternative in a place where they will never be in the way.

Rod hanger2.jpgRod hanger1.jpg

ddb

Reaction score
IMO rods break down for ease of handling and traveling with them, and always in tubes to protect them from breakage. I never leave a rod assembled until I am walking to the waters to be fished. And I break them down and store them on return to the car first thing.

I can't even imagine getting one assembled out of the basement much less traveling with one assembled in or on a car.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I have done this for decades and never a rod set....of course my bamboo rod is sitting vertically in the gun cabinet being protected
by my other toys;)
rodrack.jpg

frickerdog

Reaction score
IMO rods break down for ease of handling and traveling with them, and always in tubes to protect them from breakage. I never leave a rod assembled until I am walking to the waters to be fished. And I break them down and store them on return to the car first thing.

I can't even imagine getting one assembled out of the basement much less traveling with one assembled in or on a car.
I think much of it depends on how far you are traveling to fish and what you drive. 80% of my fishing is within 20 minutes of my front door, and 95% is within an hour. And I have a Grand Cherokee which easily accommodates the length of my rod when I am by myself. If I was fishing with a friend or had a longer drive, the rod would get broken down and put into the tube before I got into the Jeep.