Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Help! I'm clearly overthinking wading boot studs

I use the Simms Hardbite Stare Wading Cleat for at least 8 years now and have never had an issue.
    RJ

Blog Entries

Whichever boot you decide on you may want to go up 2 shoe sizes for a non-binding fit and to allow room for extra socks. When I wet wade I use a neoprene wet wading sock with a heavy wool sock over the top of it to fill out the boot. Foot comfort goes a long way to the enjoyment of day a on the water.

Denny
    Last edited by dennyk; 05-14-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac, Salmon River, NY and soon Sandy River, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    Whichever boot you decide on you may want to go up 2 shoe sizes for a non-binding fit and to allow room for extra socks. When I wet wade I use a neoprene wet wading sock with a heavy wool sock over the top of it to fill out the boot. Foot comfort goes a long way to the enjoyment of day on the water.

Denny
    Funny, I just picked up the Simms G3 waders over lunch and tried on the G3 boots while I was in the shop. As I was walking around the store I was thinking that I needed to test drive boots with a thicker sock on and the neoprene booties.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

4. Likes dennyk liked this post

7$ for a box of 100

20190514_144935.jpg

I just replace them every 4 - 6 months. They work great for me.

I've been thinking to put 20 of them in a patagonia wading stud box and sell them for $20

6. Likes jangles liked this post

Thanks to all. I just tried both the Orvis Pro and the G3 Guide boot on and went with the G3. The Orvis boot is a nice boot, very nice and I think that it will be easier to break in. That said the reason it will be easier to break in is because it's lighter than the G3. The thing that kept bugging me was what did they take out to make it lighter but keep an almost identical feature set? I decided, based on their track record on durability on the G3s. I also grabbed up a couple of "pucks" of the Hardbite Star cleats. I will break the boots in over the next couple of days and install the cleats Friday night before I go fishing this weekend. Thanks again to everyone. The info really helped with the decision.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."

8. Likes dennyk liked this post

I guess it's too late, but to me the Patagonia Foot Tractors are the way to go. Instead of having studs grab the rock, the rock grabs the aluminum plates on the bottom of the boot. I only wear mine (I have the old version) when I'll be fishing in slippery situations because the boots are heavy and not the most comfortable--I have G3s for fishing easier to wade streams. The Foot Tractors have such a good grip. I feel confident in almost any wading situation. The only time I've had problems is on wet wood, which studs would probably be better on.
    My fish pics on Instagram - @willyfranzen

I have used aluminum screws on my wading boot soles. Seems to me that as they flatten out they grip slimy rocks better than steel screws.

Quote Originally Posted by willyf View Post
    I guess it's too late, but to me the Patagonia Foot Tractors are the way to go. Instead of having studs grab the rock, the rock grabs the aluminum plates on the bottom of the boot. I only wear mine (I have the old version) when I'll be fishing in slippery situations because the boots are heavy and not the most comfortable--I have G3s for fishing easier to wade streams. The Foot Tractors have such a good grip. I feel confident in almost any wading situation. The only time I've had problems is on wet wood, which studs would probably be better on.
    Never too late for good information. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by willyf View Post
    What he said...
    MC

"At least we don't have any stinky fish we gotta clean."

Bob Nall

So here is the pattern I went with . It's20190609_131353.jpg20190609_125748.jpg a combination of 10 Simms hardbite cleats and 10 3/8 Kold kutter studs. Time will tell if it works, along wirh a wading staff, or if I end up ass over tea kettle sailing down a mountain stream, lol. So far so good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12