Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac, Salmon River, NY and soon Sandy River, Oregon

Default Average Break in time for a pair of Simms G3 Guide boots

So I picked up a set of the G3 waders and while I was at the fly shop I tried on a set of G3 Guide wading boots. They felt like a stiff pair of GTX mountaineering boots. I know how to break those in and after some bending and a couple of weeks of constant wear around the house/town etc, I can have a set of GTX boots ready to get to work for me. I have not decided to pul the trigger on the G3s yet but I'd like to know is there an "average" break in time for the G3 Guide boots? Just trying to get a sense from folks here on what to expect as I realize that this is a very very subjective question. Also any tips or tricks from folks who own these on how they broke theirs in, would be appreciated. Thanks.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Blog Entries

Default Re: Average Break in time for a pair of Simms G3 Guide boots

This is something I've never really charted but it seems to me that an hour on the foot and in the water loosens them right up. Be sure they are big enough when you buy. If you wear them daily and they stay wet they are always broke in. If you allow them to dry out thoroughly between trips they will be stiff next time you put them on. Try not to allow them to bake in the trunk of a car or pickup bed. I leave my boots on the front porch here which is shaded and have a hanger for my waders right there by the door as well. Like I said, I haven't been out for 7 days so I expect them to be a bit stiff.

Remember, get them a tad on the large size. You don't want your foot swimming inside but wiggle room is important.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by City Rat View Post
    ....Also any tips or tricks from folks who own these on how they broke theirs in, would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I have G3s. I'd estimate they will break in about 10 times faster on the river than while typing on the internet.

Seriously though, they are a stout boot. They felt like skiing boots to me at first. My old waders were shot though. Hiking books they are not IMO. They'll start breaking in some after a few trips though. I love the ankle support they offer on big freestone streams. A really tough boot I'd buy again.

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I am glad to hear this feedback, that they will break in after some use. I will try on the Orvis Guide boots, same price, very similar feature set tomorrow, while the feel of the Simms boot is still fresh. Too bad both aren't sold in the same place or I'd be done with this decision by now. I'll know as soon as I get the Orvis boot on if that is the boot for me or not. It is either going to feel more like a natural fit right out of the gate or not and if not and I have to break both in then I'll go with the known durability of the Simms and be done with this nonsense. I can't wait to get back out on the water this weekend. Thanks.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."

7. Likes ia_trouter, mcnerney liked this post

Of all the footwear I own, I have never given a thought to breaking in wading boots. After one to two pairs of socks (depending on the time of year), a thick neoprene bootie, and possibly stirrups from cold weather gear, the foot is so isolated from the boot that I have never had any issues just putting them on the first time and going fishing.

9. Likes mcnerney, ia_trouter, MarsB liked this post

GREAT boots. Probably the best on the market. I do recommend a shoe tree for storage. The leather (faux leather?) will shrink. Rinsing after use, shoe tree, and occasionally oiling the soft parts, they will always fit and last WELL past a couple pairs of waders. Also, I suggest rubber cleated. If you take care of them the rubber soles will wear out before any other part. Then you can order felt bottoms and that "special glue" which will literally kill you in a closed room, and make yourself a pair of felts for about $20! Buy another cleated and you have two! I did this and have not bought wading boots in nearly a decade.

11. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by benglish View Post
    GREAT boots. Probably the best on the market. I do recommend a shoe tree for storage. The leather (faux leather?) will shrink. Rinsing after use, shoe tree, and occasionally oiling the soft parts, they will always fit and last WELL past a couple pairs of waders. Also, I suggest rubber cleated. If you take care of them the rubber soles will wear out before any other part. Then you can order felt bottoms and that "special glue" which will literally kill you in a closed room, and make yourself a pair of felts for about $20! Buy another cleated and you have two! I did this and have not bought wading boots in nearly a decade.
    Wow! I love suggestions like this which allow you to bring a good thing back from the brink of extinction. Thanks. BTW, what's the name of that glue and type of replacement felt and a source for it? I'd like to make a note of both for future reference. Thanks again.

I used the stuff here:

Hodgman Felt Sole Replacement Kit : FishUSA

Discontinued though. Not surprised, felt soles are becoming less popular and the fumes from that glue really could kill a man. This will give you a start though. Google "felt sole kit" Good grinder, belt sander, anti dust mask also helps.

Quote Originally Posted by benglish View Post
    I used the stuff here:

Hodgman Felt Sole Replacement Kit : FishUSA

Discontinued though. Not surprised, felt soles are becoming less popular and the fumes from that glue really could kill a man. This will give you a start though. Google "felt sole kit" Good grinder, belt sander, anti dust mask also helps.
    Thanks, great info. Also, you mentioned "oiling"soft parts. Which soft parts, there aren't many? Last, what kind of oil do you use when you do this?

If you have the opportunity, try-on the Hodgman Vion. Awesome boots; comfortable, stable and versatile, right out of the box.
    Wallace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast