Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: To net or not to net. THAT is the question

I tried a net briefly after years of hand landing fish. That lasted part of a season. I found the net made unhooking and handling much more difficult, time consuming, and harder on the fish than using my hands. I relegated my net to my boat. Then I discovered an unhooking tool similar to the ketchum and I gave my net away. Now I don't touch the fish and it's faster and much easier than either hands or net. Use as heavy of tippet as you can get away with, put pressure on the fish, land them fast, handle them as little as possible, and laugh when they give you a face wash as they shoot away from you.

2. Likes rangerrich99, Bigfly, mcnerney liked this post

I use a net, find it easier for myself. I don't have any issues with flies tangling in the net and doesn't add any increased time handling the fish. I use a nylon bag brodin net for trout and for steelhead I have a big rubber net bag from Walmart.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Jack of all trades, Master of none.

4. Likes ejsell, mcnerney liked this post

It’s illegal to fish without a landing net in my local river.

6. Likes ejsell, mcnerney liked this post

All interesting perspectives!!

I've been reading that most will use a net so to get the fish in and out so to not wear it out? I've never put that much thought into fishing. Seems kinda odd to even worry about that since I've never released a fish that has just rolled over. Quite the opposite actually. STILL full of energy and speed. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Windwarrior View Post
    All interesting perspectives!!

I've been reading that most will use a net so to get the fish in and out so to not wear it out? I've never put that much thought into fishing. Seems kinda odd to even worry about that since I've never released a fish that has just rolled over. Quite the opposite actually. STILL full of energy and speed. Lol.
    That's a sign you are geared up correctly and landing them quickly. That's a good thing for sure. It can be a little tricky for multi-species water, or just fish that are larger than expected and you are trying to avoid dragging them onto the rocks or whatever.

9. Default Re: To net or not to net. THAT is the question

My #1 reason to use a net is I often fish 2 flys...hopper/dropper etc. You can control a fish better and get all the hooks out of the way. I have had fish kick off during a ketchum release and put the free hook into me! Ouch! Anyone have tips on how they release fish when fishing 2 flys?

10. Default Re: To net or not to net. THAT is the question

I have a net but it stays in the truck, I catch and release only and prefer to grab the fish and quickly get the hook out and send it back on it's way...for me the net slowed this process down by having to fumble around with retrieving the net while in the water or even from shore

I got a new net this year, but have decided to not use it very much. I walk a lot when fishing streams and here in the Midwest with a lot of underbrush, the net invariably gets hung up on plants, trees, sticks and you name it, and the cost to benefit ratio is simply not there. Most of my trout are about 12 inches, or less, and using a wet hand is much easier for me. If I do hook on to a trophy all I really care is to get it close enough to see it good. The only place where a net makes sense to me now is fishing some Missouri trout parks where the edge of the stream has a drop to the water and being able to scoop up a fish makes sense. Otherwise, no net. SR

With four fused vertebra in my lower back I have to use a net and knee pads on small streams to keep them wet. A longer net wouldn't work. There's a stream I fish that has steep muddy banks where you need a long boat net to bring the fish to land. Then another stream I fish that doesn't allow nets or waders and has drop off banks making it hard to release fish there. My tailwater net makes removing size 26 flies from large rainbows easy. I currently have 5 nets.
    steve

Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wyoming at different times of the year .

Net , whats a net ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast