Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: zippered waders

Default Re: zippered waders

Quote Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
    Count me in with the choir. IMO, once you go zippered...

Benefits for me:
    -Bathroom breaks
    -Getting 'em on
    -Getting 'em off
    -Cooling off by unzipping

I have an older pair of Orvis Silver Sonic Guides with the zippers that have started to age (and leak a bit) and a newer pair of LL Bean Kennebeck zippered.
    I haven’t done this yet, but probably will for my next pair. They are no longer listed at LL Bean or Cabela’s. Is that seasonal or were they more trouble than they were worth in terms of customer service?

I will check Orvis and some other suppliers. In the past I have always been happy with Cabela’s waders, but sort of expect that the zippered versions might warrant investing in more expensive waders.

Anytbody have good (or bad) experiences with the less expensive versions?

Thanks,

Don

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post
    I haven’t done this yet, but probably will for my next pair. They are no longer listed at LL Bean or Cabela’s. Is that seasonal or were they more trouble than they were worth in terms of customer service?

I will check Orvis and some other suppliers. In the past I have always been happy with Cabela’s waders, but sort of expect that the zippered versions might warrant investing in more expensive waders.

Anytbody have good (or bad) experiences with the less expensive versions?

Thanks,

Don
    I had a conversation with Orvis recently asking when they might return with a zippered wader. I was told that the zipper added $100 to the cost of the waders and that they were really struggling to figure out if they should/shouldn't offer one again despite getting lots of good customer feedback.

When mine Orvis Guides wore out, I struggled with an alternative as I just didn't want to get into the $700 range of the Simms but was really committed to having a zipper. The Patagonias seemed like a good, slightly less costly alternative (but still expensive). I've heard good things about the Redington's though I don't know the price of those and I haven't looked into the current availability of the LL Beans, which so far I've been happy with. I wouldn't be surprised if like Orvis the cost of the zipper is a big deal in deciding whether or not to offer them for virtually all of the manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    I'd love to see a graph of anglers with zipper wader satisfaction vs prostate age.

Attachment 19223

Sucks to get old.
    You have to work beer drinkers into that graphing somehow.

I got a pair of Cabelas ones last year, they've been doing good.

4. Likes el jefe, mcnerney liked this post

I've been really intrigued by the zip front waders, but I was always hesitant, as I was afraid a zipper just provided another potential point of failure, but you all have alleviated my fears. I'll have to seriously consider some when my G3 Guides wear out.

6. Likes ejsell liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by hcrum87hc View Post
    I've been really intrigued by the zip front waders, but I was always hesitant, as I was afraid a zipper just provided another potential point of failure, but you all have alleviated my fears. I'll have to seriously consider some when my G3 Guides wear out.
    I think the booties will leak before the zipper ever does in my Bean waders. I don't generally stand that deep in water though for long periods of time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hcrum87hc View Post
    With Patagonia's warranty, I have no fear of a leak anywhere in my waders. BTW, the zipper worked great in an emergency this morning...

9. Likes ejsell liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    With Patagonia's warranty, I have no fear of a leak anywhere in my waders. BTW, the zipper worked great in an emergency this morning...
    This is one case where we are glad you didn’t include photos.

Don

11. Likes hcrum87hc liked this post
  12. Default Re: zippered waders

will never go back. Simms g4 on year 4 and still in love.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12