Vest, Sling or Lumbar pack?

bubber

Reaction score
I'm updating my old, worn out vest. What do you use? Advantages and drawbacks? I'm thinking I might want two…one for short, local outings and a larger one for day trips? Maybe my Christmas list.

dillon

Reaction score
I use a vest for trout fishing. For steelhead I use a sling pack in warm weather and a vortex fishing jacket in cold weather. I tried the sling pack for trout but went back to the vest. It holds more fly boxes and other tackle than the sling. These items are more easily accessible as well with the vest. I didn’t like swinging it around every time I needed something. It’s less bothersome with steelheading as I don’t need things as frequently. I really like the jacket but not the weather I wear it in...

Last edited:

JDR

Reaction score
Though I don't hunt steelheads, I mirror everything Dillon said about the vest. I also returned to the vest from a bag I wore as a sling pack.

osseous

Reaction score
I too, found a sling annoying- difficult to carry a net without getting hung up during the pivot. Drop a splitshot, you've gotta do the pivot all over again... and hang on your net!?! Nothing was where I needed it to be- like it always was with a vest. I fully believe this is a trend that will burn itself out soon-

Chest pack? Can't see your foot placement when descending steep spots- a bit disconcerting. And there's a big bulge where you want to hold your hands and strip your line... with the current designs. Once the mfgs figure out they can split the center more like a vest, chest packs will become a better option.

Waist pack- limiting when wading deep because your stuff (flies!) Can get soaked. Get a watertight one and FULLY close those fussy waterproof zippers every time. You still have the pivot/net issue to a lesser degree.

Lee Wulff was a pretty sharp fellow- vests suit our needs really well. People complain about the weight. Well- nobody is forcing you to load it to the gills! And if you balance it out with a few items in the back, the neck pain issue goes away. I'm going back to a vest- the brand new offering from Fishpond. My latest chestpack experiment has been a frustration (again). The William Joseph Confluence was an excellent design- but they went under and nobody has scooped up the design just yet. There's still room in the market for more innovation here- something with cleavage would keep us from falling on our heads, and give us access to our line.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jayr

Reaction score
This is probably one of the most subjective questions out there regarding fly fishing.

What works for one, may not for another. Factor in body type, amount of gear carried, type of water fished, distance traveled, etc., etc

I would also be surprised if whatever you buy you don't switch out later. I know I have. I have pretty much gone full circle. Back when I started vests were about all there were. I then tried a chest pack and after that a lanyard. I have now come back to the vest as they are so much more versatile than what they used to be.

I compare this question to "what's your favorite style barbecue" or "what is your favorite style of pizza".

proheli

Reaction score
I like this for short days

Thunderhead Chest Pack.

And I’ve got the Orvis waterproof sling for longer periods, and a little room for lunch or a rain coat.

I agree with Osseous that a sling can be annoying, but I just put a few things in my front wader zippered pocked. It’s surprising how much you can put in there once you have an idea what flys and leader and tippit you will probably use.

bevanwj

Reaction score
Vest for me for all the same reasons mentioned above. If I need to carry extra like a jacket, water and lunch I'll don a small back pack as well.

NJ Catch and Release

Reaction score
I use a vest for most of my trout fishing except when hunting wilds on real small water, in that case I use a small chest pack.

I also use a chest pack while fishing out of my kayak.

trev

Reaction score
Vest is best.
I've ended up with every thing fishing related in the guide style vest so there is never any quandary over what to bring and nothing is ever left at home. Tried the two or three vest set up for specific types of fishing and there was always that one thing that was needed and in the "other" vest. The vest can fully replace the ultimate tackle box. I do remove either the trout fly boxes or warm water fly boxes sometimes to reduce the bulk and load on a given day, but at quitting time all is replaced. Any fishing trip just pick up rod and vest and it's done. The planning and packing time is better used fishing.
I never tried the chest tackle box nor the fanny pack because I watched others struggle with them while telling me how great they were.

flytie09

Reaction score
I starting using sling packs exclusively 7 yrs ago. My steelhead pack is a large LL bean waterproof sling backpack. I typically set it down at a spot along the bank as it can be rather heavy. But I can store everything I might need and then some like extra shooting heads, lunch and sodas for a walk in excursion.

For trout..... I use an older Simms Headwater “sling” waist pack. I don’t carry near as much and I know exactly where everything is. It’s kinda flimsy material..... and I can see a stick or rock poking a hole in it rather easily. It’s held up well so far so I can’t complain.

I picked up a retro Fishpond satchel recently as its very well made. Not waterproof..... but should last quite a while. These are similar to the Hardy ones guys used for centuries. As I get older..... I get more nostalgic for simpler things. C&P reels, bamboo rods, Wheatley boxes, and traditional patterns.

The thing with sling packs is I don’t get neck or back fatigue, I know exactly where stuff is and many are waterproof that keep stuff dry.

benglish

Reaction score
Well some have rod quivers others sun glass quivers , a few waders and footwear others vests. Fairly embarrassed to say I have multiples of multiples of all the above (sometimes I long for the days of my cloth vest, tennis shoes cotton shorts a single box full of caddis flies and humpies and my yellow glass Fenwick rod). Winter: (nymphing) I wear a vest. Easy access to all necessity items and is is easy to layer underneath for warmth. Also, I can take off occasionally to access built in back pack (Fishpond). Summer: Fanny pack always. Only wet wading, and can take off and hold up if I need to "go swimming." If I am going to solely throw meat (which is much of what I do anymore) I have a sling. They are smaller but I need much less for streamer fishing. Just a few tools some tippet, extra leader, and my Bugger Barn fit perfectly. by pivoting my sling to my back and tightening, I cast much better without bulk on the front side of my body.

rusty 54

Reaction score
I usually use a vest, but I was gifted an Orvis sling pack a few years ago. I started using that with a lanyard more this year and kind of like it.I'm going to trick it out a bit to make it more useful. I used to go to the rivers for long wades and exploring, so I took a lot of stuff. Now I seem to stay closer to the parking lot, so I don't carry as much. I just stick my net in my wader belt in back

WVDrifter

Reaction score
I very rarely wear a vest these days. I always wear a homemade tool lanyard and then different things situationally. I have a Fishpond Waterdance lumbar pack which I use more than anything. It's roomy, has 2 water bottle holsters and is easy to rig for a net. It's very comfortable especially in warm weather.. It also lets you wear a backpack too on days when you're doing hike-in fishing. It's main drawback is obviously deep wading situations. It has an auxiliary strap that allows it to be worn as a chest pack but it's too bulky for me in that position.

I also have a smaller Cabela's chest pack. My wife bought me a Safe Passage sling but Ihave not used it yet.

Som etimes I just wear a shir t and shorts with big pockets.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
If you figure out a decisive answer let me know. As stated, all anglers have different preferences and fish differing habitats, requiring different gear....the one statement I can say with absolute fact is that there is NO utopia when it comes to vests/packs.....every single one of them will excel in some areas and lack in others.

Back in the day, were creels, then vests, then mid 80's embraced "tackle bags" sort of the first waist pack/slings/creels but nylon material, chest boxes too, and some used fanny packs then too. Vest ruled through that era.

Then came packs of all configurations, chest, waist/lumbar, backpacks, slings, and now even hybrid mixes of all of the previous.

IMO, and I was looking at my tub full of packs and vests today thinking I should start selling them off, after having tried most all of them in some form or another, there is still yet to be designed a "best" pack...I earnestly think I could design one...but know of no way to get it produced- but if I win the lottery there will be a new gear company designing "real world" angler gear that actually works in fishing situations.

Vests: unbalanced-generally front heavy- hottest in warmer weather- worst to wear over layers cold- most likely to grab line - can cause shoulder/neck/back pain- most familiar to many anglers- most compartments- (maybe too many)- no water bottle pouch except behind you- least water resistant (rain/snow/dunking).

Waist/Lumbar pack: Most likely to get wet wading, lower capacity or big and heavy, often off centered balance, few options for net storage, some waist belts uncomfortable or lack of hold to keep bag up, shoulder strap can help but then back to sling/vest shoulder/neck/back issues, some packs ride low offering more distant entry to get gear out, likely best ( with also sling) for use over layers in cold weather, least likely (with also chest pack) to have storage for jacket, lunch, etc, best water bottle access, very little option for wading staff holster mounting if you use one unless belt is configurable.

Chest Pack: Highest wade height, gear right in front of your face, one of the smaller capacities, not likely water resistant, can be used with wading belt for add-on's, but you probably won't be able to see them over the bulge on your chest...worse when cold weather over layers, least visibility to water below you or foot placement..almost no options for water storage or jacket/lunch unless it incorporates with a backpack/hydration bladder/storage. Net is a dice roll depending on design.

Sling: Can be heavy like vest, but weight on one strap only (neck/shoulder pain), least (along with backpack) front impedance, also least easy (along with backpack) gear access. Net storage is a nightmare- on belt in way of pack - on pack in way of everything. High capacity, most likely (along with backpack) to hold big boxes and other large items, most packs not waterproof and still can get wet wading, straps can be a maze to re-position, holds water but not easily at hand.

Backpack: Bigger sling - same upsides and downsides with more capacity and might be more comfortable (two straps/balanced).

And people wonder why I keep saying I'm an advocate for creels. Somebody design a waterproof, top workbench, wide open view, compartmentalized interior, creel that rides on a modular waistbelt with molle attachments and is intergrated into a vest back over shoulder back pack straps holding the belt up with back storage and a net loop, and I'm in line for the first release. Think an electricians belt with a bigger sliding lidded pouch and integrated backpack pouch.....as soon as I win the lottery....:).

flav

Reaction score
I've tried vests, slings, waist packs, and chest packs over the years, and given each a fair trial. Vests make my back hurt, and most slings are designed to ride on your right shoulder which makes no sense to me as a right handed caster. For trout and steelhead I prefer a chest pack. Mine are small, holding just the essentials, and I have never had a problem with seeing where I'm wading. I use a waist pack for saltwater. In either case I have a daypack if I need to lug extra gear like a jacket, water, or lunch.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I've tried them all and much prefer a vest for trout fishing. I tend to carry a lot of stuff, especially fly boxes, and nothing else I've found carries more stuff more conveniently than the original Orvis Super Tac-L-Pak vest. When I don't need to carry so much stuff, I have a lumbar pack I tend to use for bass fishing, and a chest pack I tend to use for saltwater, and a waterproof sling pack I tend to use for Atlantic salmon. The lumbar pack is the most convenient, the chest pack stays out of the way when I'm also wearing a stripping basket, and the sling keeps everything dry in Atlantic Canada where it rains a lot. (However, I accumulated these over the years according to what was available at the time, and I chose them for the specific feature rather than the ideal overall design, so If I were buying anew from what's on the market today, I might not choose the same design again.)

Bent Undergrowth

Reaction score
I have a fishpond vest with integrated pack (wasatch I think it's called). It's really much more than I need for most outings. It shines on all-day trips and steelheading when you need to stash layers. Serves its purpose and is well-made. The only downside is that it isn't waterproof and I almost always find myself reaching back to check if I'm dunking it.

I will likely invest in a small waterproof sling to suit my deepwater ambitions, as well as a lighter, minimalist vest for shorter trips.

I've read quite a few threads similar to this one, and there seems to be a major commonality. Everyone admits they almost always bring too much stuff.

Regardless of what you use, make an assessment of your gear before you go out. That bug spray that was mandatory in the summer is just pointless weight in October (at least in my neck of the woods).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

randyflycaster

Reaction score
Vest, and if I need to carry more stuff like lunch or a rain jacket, I wear a waterproof lumbar pack (especially in the summer when I wear a summer fishing vest that has less pockets). I tried a sling, but I found it uncomfortable and I didn't like having sling it around to get things out.

I will never wear a chest pack, because I always want to see my feet when I wade.

Randy

donkeyhunter007

Reaction score
I like a vest for trout fishing with single hand rods
When I use two hand rods for steelhead I prefer a backpack.
You can’t really use a vest bride handscarms are close to the body
I fish dawn to dark often during steelhead season and sling hurts my neck after 7 hrs
Waistpack lumbar back also begins to wear me down . Now I’m back to a waterproof backpack. Even weight on both shoulders
I can fish longer without discomfort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk