Patagucci repair service

Uncle Stu

Reaction score
Can I mention that brand? I wanted to give them some kudos for their excellent repair service. I have a River Salt wading jacket (bought on a fly shop clearance sale) that has seen about 5 years of hard use--I mean a couple times a week, drenched in salt water and baked in the sun, and rinsed religiously after each session. Well, eventually the main zipper failed near the bottom and would not stay zipped. I sent it back for repair even thought they warned me it could take 2-3 months and I might be charged for it. As it happened, they received it on Jan 22 and shipped it back on Jan 31, for no charge, the entire zipper replaced. Excellent warranty service and a durable product.*

luj333

Reaction score
I never understood that nickname. Outside of those new boots which are kind of ridiculous on pricing, their products always seemed to be comparably priced against other premium brands.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
You’ll find a few negative reviews on their products from a few people who got a lemon or didn’t treat things appropriately (and the same can be said for Simms or any other high end clothing company; fishing specific or other), but I’ve yet to see a bad comment anywhere about Patagonia’s customer service.

As far as the nickname, who knows where it got started but I imagine it sticks partially because it rolls off the tongue easily. But the people who look actually down on it as overpriced probably do the same with other expensive brands...they just haven’t come up with a good nickname yet.

hollisd

Reaction score
Rapha is similar in a lot of ways in cycling. Ironically, the Walmart bros recently purchased Rapha as the grandsons of the late Sam Walton are avid cyclists apparently.

JDR

Reaction score
In their ongoing effort to make an impact on the environment and its resources, Patagonia Repair facility will repair outdoor garments regardless of manufacturer. Mr. Chounard feels that by repairing otherwise good gear, we can keep a lot of non-biodegradable materials (virtually all synthetics) out of landfills and reduce the need for new materials.

luj333

Reaction score
In their ongoing effort to make an impact on the environment and its resources, Patagonia Repair facility will repair outdoor garments regardless of manufacturer. Mr. Chounard feels that by repairing otherwise good gear, we can keep a lot of non-biodegradable materials (virtually all synthetics) out of landfills and reduce the need for new materials.
For real? That's a pretty awesome thing to do.

Gimmeslack

Reaction score
Ok, thread drift...
William McDonough, known as the 'green dean' of architecture, used to say that what we needed was a complete change in our understanding of what it is we are 'buying' when we purchase a product. So for example, he argued that when you buy a TV, you don't actually want the device itself - you want the functionality that it provides (watching videos on an illuminated screen). So when you are 'done with it' the device itself should be required to go back to the manufacturer and those costs should be baked in to the purchase. It would consequently be to their advantage to design products that later on could be broken down into reusable or recycleable components and to avoid toxic substances that would be difficult for them to handle when they retook ownership of the hadware. Devil is in the details, but really it made sense to me. And with stuff like fleece, why not have the maker take it back and be able/required to spit it out in new form, to sell again?

tomfish

Reaction score
Why not try to purchase natural fibers that do not need recycling? A wool jacket will last a lot longer than a synthetic fiber jacket. That being said; I'm a skier also and a I do love a synthetic jacket and some of the technical fabrics. My ski jacket was made from recycled water bottles. How much is spent or wasted in shipping these recyclables around the country? Our oceans are getting full of micro fibers from us washing all the synthetic garments. Wool will keep you warm even if is wet.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I am a Simms guy but I don't trash other companies. Their stuff just seems to fit me better. A buddy of mine bought Patagonia waders and had a leak problem about a week later. The Upper Delaware Fly Shop that he purchased to waders from told they would lend him waders to fish with free of charge for the time he was up here fishing but he would have to contact Patagonia. he called Patagonia and they told him 5 or 6 weeks. So he sent them back anyway and actually received them back in about 10 days. He was happy.

manderson2228

Reaction score
The pattigucci nickname comes from the fleece jackets that it seems every hipster who has never seen the woods wears!

JDR

Reaction score
Why not try to purchase natural fibers that do not need recycling? A wool jacket will last a lot longer than a synthetic fiber jacket. ...
Tomfish, Are you saying that wool will last longer than synthetic fleece? I am curious about the source for your assertion.

tomfish

Reaction score
I have been in the dry cleaning industry pretty much my whole life. One thing I did think about is technology on synthetic fabrics improves quite often and I buy new jackets and donate my old ones when they do. My wool sweaters and sport coats do not get changed out as often.