Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Older Fly Line Designations?

1. Question Older Fly Line Designations?

Hello all,

I am a new member of the forum. I have just recently retired and now have time to try my hand a fly fishing for trout in some of the mountain streams of Maryland near where I live. In going through my very old fly fishing equipment from my youth I found a fly reel that was rated for G size fly line. The box it came in also refers to D size line. What do these correspond to in today's fly line size designations?
    Thanks for any help!
    Phim40

2. Default Re: Older Fly Line Designations?

Quote Originally Posted by Phim40
    Hello all,I am a new member of the forum. I have just recently retired and now have time to try my hand a fly fishing for trout in some of the mountain streams of Maryland near where I live. In going through my very old fly fishing equipment from my youth I found a fly reel that was rated for G size fly line. The box it came in also refers to D size line. What do these correspond to in today's fly line size designations?Thanks for any help!Phim40

Check this one out. It has an easy to use chart.

http://vfish.net/silklinechart.htm
    All Means All

3. Re: Older Fly Line Designations?

Curtis, thanks for the link - that is just what I was looking for but did not come up with when I searched. Phim40

4. Default Re: Older Fly Line Designations?

I had to google a few different combos of wording.

BTW, welcome aboard.
    All Means All

5. Default Re: Older Fly Line Designations?

Well I was going to offer that same chart that Curtis supplied you. It can really get a little wierd to figure out sometimes as it seems in reverse order to what one would imagine it being. Now the real difference comes in the lines themselves and trying to figure out what an old line is.