Older Fly Line Designations?

Phim40

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new member of the forum. I have just recently retired and now have time to try my hand a fly fishing for trout in some of the mountain streams of Maryland near where I live. In going through my very old fly fishing equipment from my youth I found a fly reel that was rated for G size fly line. The box it came in also refers to D size line. What do these correspond to in today's fly line size designations?
Thanks for any help!
Phim40

Curtis

Reaction score
Phim40 said:
Hello all,I am a new member of the forum. I have just recently retired and now have time to try my hand a fly fishing for trout in some of the mountain streams of Maryland near where I live. In going through my very old fly fishing equipment from my youth I found a fly reel that was rated for G size fly line. The box it came in also refers to D size line. What do these correspond to in today's fly line size designations?Thanks for any help!Phim40

Check this one out. It has an easy to use chart.

http://vfish.net/silklinechart.htm

Phim40

Reaction score
Curtis, thanks for the link - that is just what I was looking for but did not come up with when I searched. Phim40

Curtis

Reaction score
I had to google a few different combos of wording.

BTW, welcome aboard.

TNFishnStix

Reaction score
Well I was going to offer that same chart that Curtis supplied you. It can really get a little wierd to figure out sometimes as it seems in reverse order to what one would imagine it being. Now the real difference comes in the lines themselves and trying to figure out what an old line is.