Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone build your own fly boxes?

1. Default Re: anyone build your own fly boxes?

To solve the problem of them fitting in your pocket, you can use the small first aid box from j&j. Pack them with a few of each fly, then put in front pocket. I use a small camel back as my tackle bag so I can stay hydrated in the Texas heat. Problem was, flies in the back. Then I saw the first aid kit. Problem solved

Default Re: anyone build your own fly boxes?

I built another this weekend I figured out that if i set my raxor knife just deep enough to only cut one layer of foam, I can just push the flies in backwards and it holds them in place much better then trying to hook them into the foam, just like the Cliff's boxes. I also found out I need to tie more flies.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kilted flyer View Post
    To solve the problem of them fitting in your pocket, you can use the small first aid box from j&j. Pack them with a few of each fly, then put in front pocket. I use a small camel back as my tackle bag so I can stay hydrated in the Texas heat. Problem was, flies in the back. Then I saw the first aid kit. Problem solved
    What is j&j?

4. Default Re: anyone build your own fly boxes?

Johnson and Johnson. Small enough for the pocket, but not to deep. You can normally find them at Walmart for around a dollar or two. It's a win win. First aid and fly box.

I will add a vote for the Altiods Tin.
    I cut and add foam to the lid and the bottom. What I have always done is then spray paint the tin box grey and label the lid with a stream name or type of fly inside. So if I am going to stream X, I pack my fly boxes and grab the grey box or boxes with the label of stream X. I know inside are the favorites for that stream. I have a tin labeled small poppers and one for Caddis, etc...

I made some long ago (lost them along with about 100K of tackle, fly tying materials and such during Hurricand Charley in 2004 and havent' built any more since.

Take a 2" block of red cedar the size of the box you want and slightly round the edges when you cut out the shape on a band saw.

Now, take that block and on the router table, use a small router bit to round the other edges.

rough sand this block, put it on end on the band saw and slice it lengthways for two halves of the block.

Make a guide on the router table and rout out the inside of each half.

Finish sanding. add hinges, foam or magnetic clips.

Lots of work, but a classy light box that floats even if you drop it open into the water.

7. Likes jb1023 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I've made streamer boxes using these plastic containers and lined with foam:
    ArtBin Translucent Quick View Carrying Case-Large at Joann.com
    Larry

9. Likes hairwing530, itchmesir, Ard liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12