Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

bobbyc21fish

Reaction score
Im going to Punta Cana in two weeks. I might go out and do some offshore fishing but I want to know if anyone has any expierience with inshore fishing(mostly off the beach). Sadly, I will not be flyfishing. Im justing bringing a spinning rod to try and catch what ever is there. I hear there is tarpon, permit, snook and redfish but who knows. Hopefully I will atleast be able to catch some barracuda. Thanks for any help.

Bobby

huronfly

Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread, but I am heading to Punta Cana in 3 weeks with a group of friends. I'll be bringing fly gear with floating and intermediate lines and will be DIY fishing mostly from the shore, likely only for short periods in the morning or evening. The resort I am staying at also has kayaks available to use so I am considering a bit of trolling with the intermediate line too. I've seen videos of people catching tarpon, permit, bones, cudas, and snook, so I know they are around. I've scouted a couple small reefs close to shore that will try as well... Has anybody been there and have any tips for diy fishing the north end of Bavaro beach area?

birfield

Reaction score
Another thread back from the dead! I'll be in Punta Cana later this month for work and have a tourist weekend. Any info on self guided inshore/flats fishing would be appreciated. I'm not opposed to hiring a guide if needed, but would rather be able to fish on my schedule if possible. I'll be staying at the Westin on the east side of the island and will have a rental car.

GloveMan

Reaction score
There is a lot of crystal clear lagoon fly fishing that you can walk into. Easy for a quick morning casting session. Check with the locals who you are working with and they can probably give you the scoop. There are also some protected bonefish flats. Also walk from the Barcelo Punta Cana early morning a bit further South, the spot between the Majestic Elegance and the Bahia Ambar is not bad. Go a bit further South, past the Bahia Principe Property and place yourself in Front of the big Shipwreck which you see there on the Reef not far from the Beach, the Location of the Wreck is a Passage/Inlet. Numerous snapper and other species like jacks and cuda.

Last edited: