Cuba, anyone?

yikes

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone is thinking of fishing in Cuba now that diplomatic relations are making that a possibility for travel.
For myself, I'm not skilled enough to warrant any flats or big ocean fishing anywhere yet. I'm just surprised that I haven't yet seen that much discussion about it one way or the other.

(Is it too much of a political hot potato for this forum? Moderator, please advise.)

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
I've been thinking it for a long time and have a couple posts on this forum regarding it.....That said, now unfortunately guide groups from other nations have come in and monopolized the market by assisting local governments with their revenue stream :shades:

What that translates to is wherein just a few years ago, roughly 10 or less you could just go fish like a madman, everything was inexpensive and it was wide open....Now you have to pay out the ying-yang and MUST use one of the charter services to fish or face arrest. Add to that prices have jumped dramatically, and what might have been a trip of a lifetime for $2,000 is now an iffy affair costing you closer to $7-10,000+ when all said and done.

Never the less, the Cays of the S.W. portion around Isla de la Juventund, Cayo Largo where I have been considering is said to be one of the few places in the world, and the easiest to get an Inshore Grand Slam (Permit, Bonefish, Tarpon).

B.E.F.

holywaters_ca

Reaction score
Actually,...

you can still stay in one of the resorts at Cayo Coco and hire a guide out of there for peanuts,... well $300-350 US/day.

I've done it many times. Being Canadian, access to Cuba is easy. I believe though that the Bonefish and Tarpon Trust has access to Visas for Americans.

Regardless, it's awesome! Bones average between 4 and 8 lbs (no lie), good shots at permit almost the entire year, and when the tarpon start rolling in around April,... it's grand slam time!

PM me if you want more info. There is an online company that books guides out of there.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Wish I could afford a trip like that, but until then I will just dream.

I did hear on NPR the other day that the feds are opening up direct flights to Cuba which would make it much easier for Americans to go there, rather then the indirect route through Canada or Mexico.

holywaters_ca

Reaction score
It's going to happen soon! I'm betting with a year US citizens will be granted the right to travel to Cuba....

Any takers?

Don't know what that's going to do to the fishing pressure, but right now, it's really the best. I'm heading down there soon!