Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Roatan?

1. Default Roatan?

Anyone fish there? Looking at the East side, away from town.

2. Default Re: Roatan?

I know this thread is old and the OP never got any responses .. so I’ll add one. I got a recommendation from a guy I met on a trout stream in North Carolina. “Want to catch Permit? Go see Michael Bodden on Roatan.” Or something Along those lines. I was not disappointed. Quite an adventure for sure. Not your typical “fishing lodge” style trip. Felt like friends and family. And caught a nice permit:

92A8F211-646D-49F6-8859-75DC28D2C0E7.jpg

And plenty of bonefish. And a tarpon.

3. Likes flyminded liked this post

Default Re: Roatan?

Looks like Roatan treated you well for permit. What lodge did you go with? A lot of my clients as of late have been going to Roatan. Makes me think i need to get down there. Let's see a full trip report if you haven't posted one already.

Nice permit.

Blog Entries

I looked it up after I spotted the bumped post, looks like a good destination to me. As I get older I think winter will find me in such places rather than driving a snowmachine 75 miles to the cabin............. For now though I have another fuel run to make Thursday.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  7. Default Re: Roatan?

Resort: Stayed at the condo Michael runs. He has a web site. I fished with him three days and a couple of his brothers the other three. It’s not a “fishing lodge” experience for sure. Kind of like fishing with friends. But man did I get shots at permit. At least one every day. Some days 15 or 20. Caught a tarpon around the docks in a fishing village up east. We fished pretty much the entire south side of the island over the course of the week. Fantistic food every day, cooked at the condo for me. Better food than any fishing lodge I’ve stayed at or even most non-fishing resorts.

Report:

Got picked up by his sister at the airport after clearing immigration. Took an hours drive to the town of Oak Ridge, stopping by the grocery along the way for a box of cereal or pop tarts for breakfast (No hot breakfast provided). A short boat ride to the condo. Michael showed up to discuss the next days plans. We hit the water at either 5:30 or 6:00 daily. Back for a hot, home cooked lunch beyween 11:00 and 1:00 depending on conditions. The cook was there when we showed up. After lunch and, most days, a siesta, we were back on the water around 1:30 or 2:00 and fished as late as 6:00 some days. Hot dinner was being prepared as we pulled up. On the last day, it was lobster and conch I saw caught right in front of the condo. On the last day, a short boat ride back to Oak Ridge, an hour in a taxi, and off back to the U.S.

The fishing: Like many locations, there were plenty of bonefish. Some large schools, some singles, and some groups of 2-6. Most seemed in the 2-4 lb range. Bigger than those in Belize. But these were most spooky and finicky than I’ve experienced elsewhere. They would get way up in super-skinny water all the time. Backs and tails showing continuously. Drop a fly within ten feet of them and boom! They were gone. If you were able to successfully put it on point without spooking them, they wouldn’t eat. Plenty of follows, but few eats. I thought they were acting like permit. I did, however, catch bonefish. Speaking of permit. As I mentioned before, plenty of shots. Three eats that I detected. Felt two but didn’t get a hook in them. One I did. Guide said around 20 pounds. All I know is that it was a nice permit. I took shots at parrot fish and triggers but none would eat. Caught a small cuda, grunt, jacks, etc. Also caught a small (20 pounds?) tarpon around the docks. Would I go back? I’m planning on it!

8. Likes flyminded liked this post

Sounds like a good time to me. I need to stop tying so many flies and get down there to fish. Shots at permit bonefish and tarpon with a lobster/conch dinner sign me up