St. Martin in the Caribbean

roadglideguy

Reaction score
hi there planning a trip to St Martin (prefer the Dutch side)...Learned a lot about spin casting and hand line fishing thru the internet but not much about guided fly fishing tours or DIY wading-fishing for bonefish, snook and tarpon? Hear the are lots of tarpon right off the piers...not much about Bonies/Snook...not a whole lot of flats there but some mangroves! my email is awpc@shaw.ca if you want to share please...

flyminded

Reaction score
At this point in time, the French side is still pretty much shut down after the hurricanes.

Which brings me directly to my next comment, no idea what the result of the hurricane was on fishing on the Dutch side. But snook could be found off the beaches....early morning/late evening if you want to avoid hooking other beach goers on your back cast.

Tarpon could be found at the inlet to the yacht marina on Simpson Bay, especially at night ...look for the orange eyes glow in the dark. Also at the back of the restaurants that were built out over the lagoon ...think “French fry” fly, they tended to hang out under the restaurants and the lagoon on the backside of Phillipsburg had Tarpon in it.

Never found any bones, but heard of a school or 2 that used to work the lagoon.

acorad

Reaction score
Went a couple years ago. Caught a bunch of fun, smaller fish in the boiler rocks in front of our hotel, Westin Dawn Beach. They looked like small jacks.

Tarpon will hang around/under all docks/marinas. Caught a bunch near the fishmarket on Simpson Bay, among other places. Got some in Great Bay too. Use a heavy leader, there are anchor lines, pilings, etc., everywhere.

Tried the Great Salt Pond a couple times. Saw a number of tarpon rolling and got one hit. Kinda hard to cast far enough with a fly rod though. Watch out for fire ants there.

Heard there are bones in the north side of Simpson Bay, near where that peninsula sticks out, but I looked once por nada.

Great place to fish and relax, enjoy!

Andy

Last edited: