Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Trophy browns in Spain

Like anything... you take a punt and see what happens
    I’d only heard of the risk as someone I know had all his gear confiscated, but ‘they’ opted not to apply a financial penalty as he was on holiday from the UK for 10 days... he still wasn’t overly happy as he lost 400 rod and reel

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

@boisker was your mate fishing drunk in Lloret de Mar? No chance anything remotely like this happening to a fly angler in Spain.

Blog Entries

Hi Hollisd,

I'm late here but wanted to say what a beautiful picture you posted and welcome to the forum

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

5. Likes hollisd, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by hollisd View Post
    @boisker was your mate fishing drunk in Lloret de Mar? No chance anything remotely like this happening to a fly angler in Spain.
    next time I see him I’ll ask where he was... definitely not drunk... he’s not the type. It would have been high (ish) up in the mountains...

interesting you say it would never happen, following being told about the confiscation I spent some time looking into requirements / licences and although I found it tricky to find decent info i did find a site that covered the rivers/lakes in the Spanish Pyrenees which also referred to fines and confiscation if caught without the right licences. Perhaps it relates purely to these sort of protected areas as it appeared to be a very short season.

Like I posted originally I make no claim as to how likely this would be, but the legislation is certainly there for significant fines and confiscation in some areas of Spain... no idea how widespread though.

It did convince me to ensure I picked up the right licence if I ever went to Spain

You might want to hit up jpbfly. He fishes several areas on that side of the big pond. He may be able to provide some better insight.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Thanks Kevin. I've emailed the guide in the link above, Carles. He lives just a few kilometers away from Barcelona in Sabadell.

I'm not sure if @jpbfly is him or someone else but if he reads this give me a shout definitely

hollisduncan AT gmail

11. Likes kevind62 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hollisd

JP (aka jpbfly) lives in southern France, but he has fished in Spain a few times. Send him a pm, he hasn't been on the forum very much lately, he is recovering from an operation.

Also try contacting Ben who lives in Spain, here is a trip report he posted while back.
    Fly fishing in Spain: On the footsepts of Hemingway

Welcome to the forum!
    Larry

13. Likes kevind62 liked this post

Hollisd,

I fished northern Spain (mostly Aragon) several years back. There's some fantastic fly fishing in the area. Getting the general licenses isn't too difficult, but getting the day ticket to fish specific beats can be hard if you don't know where to go (they are often sold in a village bar...) And I think you do want to be careful about having every license required. A friend of mine was very recently fishing on a river and was approached by a game official who asked to see his license. My friend pulled out his (I think) Catalunya license and the official told him the river was the border with (I think) Aragon, so he had to have an Aragon license. My friend told me that he seemed deeply disappointed when he pulled out an Aragon license.

When I was there, I fished with a local guide, Ivan Tarin, who runs an operation called Salvelinus. I would highly recommend talking to him and booking a few days of fishing in areas that interest you. I think it would save you a lot of time and effort.

Anyway, congrats on being in a fantastic area for fishing. I intend to get back there to fish again within the next year or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12