Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Trophy browns in Spain

Hollisd,

My impression is that the regional licenses are reasonably priced and you can get at least the Catalunya license online. You are right that day tickets for specific beats might be a problem if you want to explore.

I am currently living in Botswana, but over the last 25 years, I've lived in seven other African countries in East Africa, West Africa, and Southern Africa. What year were you a PCV in Mauritania?

There's some fantastic fly fishing in Africa. Some of the fly fishing I've done includes: trout in the Aberdares and Lake Alice in Kenya; trout in the Bale Mountains of Ethiopia; trout in the Drakensberg mountains of South Africa; Largemouth bass in Kenya and Botswana; Nile Perch on Lake Turkana; and Tigerfish during the Barbel run in the Okavango Delta panhandle; and sightcasting with dry flies for trout and yellowfish in the mountains of Lesotho. But there's still a very long list of places I want to fish in Africa, including fishing the flats in the Seychelles, trout in the high Atlas of Morocco, Goliath Tigerfish on the Congo River, and Tigerfish at Kilombero in Tanzania. Fishermen in Alaska get to see bears when they fish, but I see elephant, hippo, crocodile, lions, hyenas, and plains game. BTW, I've heard that there was even great surf casting in Mauritania.

If you ever decide to come back to the continent, let me know. I'll point you toward some interesting fishing that might fit in with whatever else you plan to do.

2. Likes brownbass, flyminded liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    What year were you a PCV in Mauritania?
    1999 but I left after training. In my exit interview the country director said, "Hollis, you've learned more in 10 weeks than most people do in 2 years" but it was bittersweet. I was 24 and went to save the world but shortly realized I had nothing to give and everything to gain and felt tremendous guilt so I chose to return. One of my favorite volunteers was a guy from California named Thomas. I rationalized that at least the country was in good hands with him and not 2 weeks after I got home, Thomas called to say he was in the States which broke my heart. I've always said I want to give back to Mauritania when I have something to give but it's changed a lot since then. It seems like it's more radical at least from the West's point of view. It was a great life experience for the short time I was there. I still say my ass has never been as clean as it was without TP in Mauritania.

It would be a dream to fly fish Africa. If I were to do a trip on my bike what are some no-brainer countries as far as safety and trout fishing? This summer I'm going to ride across Spain with my fly rod and would love to set a goal further out to do the same in Africa. In Barcelona I've seen so many young thugs from Morocco evil dishonest kids pickpocketing and vandalizing that I don't know if I trust it but I'm sure remote Morocco is different from the urban centers. What are the best countries for trout?

In my experience, Peace Corps Volunteers have almost always received as much or more from the experience than they've given. Most don't come to that realization until well after the fact, though.

I'm not sure I can say there are any "no brainer" countries regarding safety. It really comes down to each person's tolerance for risk. I happily travel and fish all around the continent, but I generally do so with at least one other person. I think what we do is very safe, but plenty of other people might feel uncomfortable doing it themselves. I do camp occasionally, but I have no experience traveling by bike. To judge safety in specific places, I'd suggest checking on some of the forums where people do exactly the kind of travel you're talking about. You should be able to get much more targeted and timely advice from people who have recently done something close to what you want to do. Personally, I tend to think there's a lot to be said for traveling with at least one other person when traveling in Africa (or anywhere else for that matter). There really is safety in numbers.

If you do decide you want to visit Africa, you'll definitely find trout in high altitude areas of Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Lesotho, Morocco, Zimbabwe, and Ethiopia. There should still be trout in Malawi. There might still be trout in Algeria. And there are a lot of other places where trout are currently unconfirmed, but very likely present. This would include the Imatong Hills of South Sudan (where security would be a very, very serious problem) and the Rwenzori Mountains of Uganda. If you are interested in fishing for indigenous fish such as Tigerfish, Yellowfish, and Nile Perch or saltwater species, your fishing opportunities increase greatly. Of course you have to bring a lot more gear...

5. Likes hollisd liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I'm not sure I can say there are any "no brainer" countries regarding safety. It really comes down to each person's tolerance for risk. ... This would include the Imatong Hills of South Sudan (where security would be a very, very serious problem) and the Rwenzori Mountains of Uganda. ...
    Wow. This thread has taken a turn from interesting to thought provoking. What is oneís risk tolerance? Iíve fished around bears, snakes and moose (animals of concern, at least for me) a good bit. I cannot imagine fishing in South Sudan.

Perhaps it is what you are use to doing. I fished southern Appalachia in the 70ís. Also, when I began fishing in Montana many years ago there were areas where outsiders were not welcome. In that era my concerns were slashed tires or verbal, possibly physical, confrontations ó not kidnapping or death. I was, am, much more concerned about walking up on a cow moose or a griz.

While in the bush, I would find it very disconcerting to see every human encounter as possibly life threatening. More power to you. Iíll stick to worrying about moose!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrock View Post
    Wow. This thread has taken a turn from interesting to thought provoking. What is one’s risk tolerance? I’ve fished around bears, snakes and moose (animals of concern, at least for me) a good bit. I cannot imagine fishing in South Sudan.

Perhaps it is what you are use to doing. I fished southern Appalachia in the 70’s. Also, when I began fishing in Montana many years ago there were areas where outsiders were not welcome. In that era my concerns were slashed tires or verbal, possibly physical, confrontations — not kidnapping or death. I was, am, much more concerned about walking up on a cow moose or a griz.

While in the bush, I would find it very disconcerting to see every human encounter as possibly life threatening. More power to you. I’ll stick to worrying about moose!
    They say people tend to underestimate the danger of familiar risks and overestimate the unfamiliar ones, so we worry about terrorists even though we're a lot more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than a jihadi. Elephants, buffalo, hippos, crocodiles, and Lions can be a risk when I'm fishing, and maybe those seem exotic to some people, but they seem like familiar, manageable risks to me just as moose and bears are to you. I am considering taking a safari guide certification course to learn to better handle interactions with wildlife (and just because I think it would be fun).

Threats from people are different than those from animals, but they have always seemed manageable to me as well. I spent a lot of time in high risk places and situations for work, so I'm either reasonably experienced or maybe I'm just stupid (and lucky). That said, tolerance for risk changes. I happily took risks when I was young and single that I would not take now that I am married with a young child.

I was in Morocco for 2 weeks earlier this year, and I wouldn't recommend it for cycling (and I'm a bike commuter in an urban area, so my risk tolerance and experience level are high). The infrastructure was not great, and traffic etiquette was limited. My wife and I remarked repeatedly that we were amazed that we didn't see more auto accidents. The people were very nice though. Casablanca was less friendly with tourism hasslers trying to sell you something constantly and sometimes overly aggressively, but everywhere else we visited was much more laid back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123