Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
  1. Default Alaska to phase out felt soles

Alaska Board of Fisheries for adopting a statewide phase-out of felt sole wading products, effective Jan. 1, 2012

The board on Friday, March 19, 2010 passed the proposal unanimously after hearing testimony earlier in the week from anglers, lodge owners and others who warned that unless Alaska takes action to protect its freshwater rivers, lakes and streams, they risk becoming infected as in other parts of the world. Alaska is now the first state to enact a complete statewide ban on felt sole wading gear..

Read More at Trout Unlimited
    Alaska Enacts Statewide Ban on Felt Sole Wading Gear | Trout Unlimited Blog

Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Fishing Trips

Blog Entries

Default Re: Alaska to phase out felt soles

Paul

You probably didn't see the earlier thread, but here was a post last week that mentioned this. I'm sure glad to see that Alaska is being proactive about trying to prevent the spread of invasive species into the pristine waters of Alaska.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...dbye-felt.html

Larry

i have already made the switch. i think most states will follow Alaska's example. i believe this because it cost them money to maintain rivers and fight the invasive species. it cost them nothing to make you buy new wading shoes.

4. Default Re: Alaska to phase out felt soles

I think that you will find that the major manufacturers have already abandoned felt so everyone will be adopting newer soles so to say by default. Simms has apparently dumped the balance of their felt soled wading boots (see sierra trading post) and no longer offer them I doubt it will be long before the rest follow suit if they have not already. One thing to note (from the Simms site) is that you can buy vibram soles and have your existing boots re-soled so there are options out there to buying new boots if you invested in a good pair recently..

Paul
    Last edited by AKGuide; 04-06-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added some additional 'sole'

Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Fishing Trips

Blog Entries

No harm done here, I've been wearing cleated rubber since 96'. I always had a problem with the way snow caked up on felt and when Orvis offered their Henry's Fork boot with cleated rubber I got on board and stayed there. I have a pair of non cleats for wear in the boats also.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors