Alaskan video

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Just thought some of you might like to see this short video from my 2005 season up in Alaska. I guided up there for the season, so this footage was shot over the course of the entire 4 months.

http://www.spottedtailproductions.com/videos.html

Hope you enjoy. Feedback welcome !
Nice video, I tried to guess what area it was but not enough information. The plane landing looked a lot like the Yentna but there are so many glacier fed rivers that it could be anywhere. I like the way you produced the video but the music was too much. I would have liked something a little more calmer to match the scenes. Good job overall.----Frank

Fishartist

Reaction score
Man that was some great footage! Please let me know when your guiding up there again, I havent been so envious of fishing spots in a long time. Great work!

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry one of you did not like the music. Personally, I feel that a lot of fishing shows/videos are ruined by people talking too much or sappy narrative. As an alternative, I try to incorporate music into my videos in a way that isn't just background music. Obviously, there will be portions and clips that need less audio to provide more focus on vocals or ambient noises, etc. At either rate, I respect the opinion of others and appreciate all of your sharing.

As to being back up in Alaska, I doubt it will happen any time soon. I'll be guiding this coming summer season down in Florida with these guys: www.shallowwaterexpeditions.com

Reaction score
Oh, and that was a close guess, but the plane landing is actually on the Skwentna (same watershed, if I am not mistaken), and most of the fishing is on the Talachulitna.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I was going to guess the Tal but just wasn't sure. I also thought it might be Lake Creek. Yes, the Skwentna is the same water shed. The Skwentna empties into the Yentna. If I remember correctly, the Tal empties into the Skwentna less than a mile from the confluence with the Yentna. I have flown and fished all over that area. Were you guiding with the Skwentna Lodge? -------Frank

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry one of you did not like the music. Personally, I feel that a lot of fishing shows/videos are ruined by people talking too much or sappy narrative. As an alternative, I try to incorporate music into my videos in a way that isn't just background music. Obviously, there will be portions and clips that need less audio to provide more focus on vocals or ambient noises, etc. At either rate, I respect the opinion of others and appreciate all of your sharing.

As to being back up in Alaska, I doubt it will happen any time soon. I'll be guiding this coming summer season down in Florida with these guys: www.shallowwaterexpeditions.com
The Wator Color resort is a neat place. Some good fishing there but I didn't know they had very many Tarpon. Mostly trout and Redfish. You will enyoy your work there.----Frank

Reaction score
The Wator Color resort is a neat place. Some good fishing there but I didn't know they had very many Tarpon. Mostly trout and Redfish. You will enyoy your work there.----Frank
I've fished down there a bunch. Worked down there for 3 summers, and fished it off and on for about 5+ years. Tarpon are there if you know where to find them.

Reaction score
I was going to guess the Tal but just wasn't sure. I also thought it might be Lake Creek. Yes, the Skwentna is the same water shed. The Skwentna empties into the Yentna. If I remember correctly, the Tal empties into the Skwentna less than a mile from the confluence with the Yentna. I have flown and fished all over that area. Were you guiding with the Skwentna Lodge? -------Frank
Yep I was guiding on the Tal. It empties into the Skwentna, but the confluence with the Yentna is a bit further downstream. I ran up and down the Skwentna to pick up clients from the float planes, and I never once went down far enough to hit the Yentna. We ran up too somewhat and fished Canyon Creek, which is by far my favorite in that area. Guiding with Talaview Lodge. Not sure what their status is these days....