Klickitat

dhayden

Reaction score
I saw the Seasons of the Fly show on this river. I love these smaller Steelie rivers.

Close enough for a summer Steelhead trip.. maybe September?

Any tips on decent public access (we'll have a guuide for at least one day)?

Where to stay, etc?

Thanks in advance.. Dave

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I can't help you on any of that, but there is a type of arrowhead found there. If you find the right one it could pay for a pretty good chunk of the trip. Some of them go for $600 or $700, maybe even more. They are called Klickitat daggers. Here is a picture of one I did. By did, I mean I knapped it, not found it.

Might pay to take a good look at what you are walking over. Good luck on the trip.
Dan

dhayden

Reaction score
Thats' pretty cool thanks..

Booked 2 days floating.. looking forward to it

Still interested in tips for fishing on our own.

dillon

Reaction score
I have heard that many of the local guides on this river dead drift flies from the boat using indicators. That's fine if that's how you want to fish. There is one guide service that has a poor etiquette rep on the river. If you want to swing flies you might want to check with the guide to see if they will accomodate you. I know one that will. There is alot of river that is accessible from the road and there are public trails on the other side of the river. Fish the inside bends. There are a couple primitive campgrounds on the river and the town of Klickitat is on the river but there isn't much there. Good food and accomodations can be found in a couple towns in the Gorge. One should know that the river is glacially fed and can get dirty and unfishable in a hurry. It's best to have a plan B in that case.

Last edited:

rob allen

Reaction score
That's a beautiful fish... If i hired a guide and he wanted me to indicator fish, I'd immediately have him row to the take out and our day would end and he would not get paid....... good thing i can't afford to take guide trips :)