Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for some good spots near Clackamas or Sandy Rivers

Default Re: Looking for some good spots near Clackamas or Sandy Rivers

You may also want to try the Wilson river off highway 6 towards tillamook. Great fishing there as well. Crystal clear, with great spots to wade and many pools.

As mentioned parks and boat ramps are a good general place to start. Many people close the area do not want to post specific "holes" on the internet or fragile wild steelhead rivers. If one really wants to reduce the learning curve there are several very good flyfishing guides in the area. A float with an experienced guide is a great way to learn the river environment and increase your angling skills. Even though I know the area well, I always learn something knew when I take a trip, and have a great time.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Just did a 'Dah Fred' when I saw the update link in my e-mail. One of the best ways, and from your office chair, to learn a river is Google Earth. Many of the Oregon maps were updated in 2011 so they are very current. Hell, I can see my Jeep in the driveway, and that's current!

Install the latest addition so you can do the 'fly by' mode as you move up/down a river. Roads, parking areas, etc., are obvious. With Google Earth on screen just follow along with a good County road map and mark it up with a pen (Note each with a number/letter and note (pad) approximate distances from point 'A' to 'B' to 'C,' etc. GMaps has a changing scale on the bottom of the map so this is actually pretty easy to do.

Now its time to hit the road with the map and note pad. You get to 'A' make notes AND TAKE PICTURES!! Trust me, you won't remember a darned thing 20 minutes past the place.

Yes, you can easily kill the better part of a day doing this, but when done you have your notes and photo's to refer back. A GPS can be damned helpful too! Just click the 'where am I,' log it in as Sandy A, what ever and you'll be dead on coming back at a later date.

Fred
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

The Willamette is loaded with Smallmouth bass in the Portland area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12