Looking for some good spots near Clackamas or Sandy Rivers

fryfishingguy

Reaction score
So I'm new to the Portland area and KNOW there are probably dozens of great fishing spots but I wanted to ask forum members if they had any specifically that were good for them...

I'm looking for someplace where I can wade to maybe 2" and have a clear view (not murky) of the bottom, with water that's not flowing too fast so that I can bring my 11 year old with me. Ideally, 45 min drive so from Tigard/Beaverton area and with ready access from the road.. so I don't have to hike from where I park..

I'm told there are quite a few spots like this on the Clackamas river, but I don't know where to even start looking... thanks all for the help.

Sam

BigCliff

Reaction score
I fished the Clack a bit at Clackamette park, but the flow's pretty heavy there. Apparently its a good spot to net smelt during the run though.

There's access at a boat ramp across the river from Carver, with a steep creek pouring into the river right there.

I fished the Sandy as well, from Wildwood Park, I think. I caught nothing at any of those spots, how y'all do better.

Aside from fishing, enjoy Gustav's and McMenamin's.

mikel

Reaction score
Maybe some locals will chime in, but I have fished the Clack above Estacada...actually, above the reservoir, just a bit. Quite a bit of access. Lots of smaller trout eager to hit a dry or stimi/dropper. (This was summer, so check for current conditions.)

Follow the link I sent in a PM for better info.

-Mike

Vans

Reaction score
If you want to fish the Clackamas,go to McIver park and park at the lower boat ramp. There is a good area for casting and fishing. If you head down river from there, there is a small island on the right hand side of which is a great run to fish.

Lots of good fishing at the park, by the other ramp as well. Only downside is there is a lot of pressure.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I'm thinking winter as well as summer here.

"I'm told there are quite a few spots like this on the Clackamas river, but I don't know where to even start looking... thanks all for the help."

Out of the area, but for winter the top end Oxbow park or the water (bottom end) of where the Sandy River Spey 'Clave is held (Sandy). I'm sure there are places further up, but fishing off the beach.

As for the 'Clack,' the very bottom end before 'Oregon City' for bank walking.

ALL that aside, Google 'flyfishusa' call and ask the Guys/Gals. They WILL know.
fae

fryfishingguy

Reaction score
Thanks, what I really want is a spot where I can wade in shallow area to make it easy to release the fish and not get them out if the water. I want a good stream is what I think I really want.

willyfish

Reaction score
You may also want to try the Wilson river off highway 6 towards tillamook. Great fishing there as well. Crystal clear, with great spots to wade and many pools.

dillon

Reaction score
As mentioned parks and boat ramps are a good general place to start. Many people close the area do not want to post specific "holes" on the internet or fragile wild steelhead rivers. If one really wants to reduce the learning curve there are several very good flyfishing guides in the area. A float with an experienced guide is a great way to learn the river environment and increase your angling skills. Even though I know the area well, I always learn something knew when I take a trip, and have a great time.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Just did a 'Dah Fred' when I saw the update link in my e-mail. One of the best ways, and from your office chair, to learn a river is Google Earth. Many of the Oregon maps were updated in 2011 so they are very current. Hell, I can see my Jeep in the driveway, and that's current!

Install the latest addition so you can do the 'fly by' mode as you move up/down a river. Roads, parking areas, etc., are obvious. With Google Earth on screen just follow along with a good County road map and mark it up with a pen (Note each with a number/letter and note (pad) approximate distances from point 'A' to 'B' to 'C,' etc. GMaps has a changing scale on the bottom of the map so this is actually pretty easy to do.

Now its time to hit the road with the map and note pad. You get to 'A' make notes AND TAKE PICTURES!! Trust me, you won't remember a darned thing 20 minutes past the place.

Yes, you can easily kill the better part of a day doing this, but when done you have your notes and photo's to refer back. A GPS can be damned helpful too! Just click the 'where am I,' log it in as Sandy A, what ever and you'll be dead on coming back at a later date.

Fred