Alaska/Anchorage August 8-24, 2008 -where and what to fish

dogger

Reaction score
Am taking the family for a vacation and I think I will bring my fly rod with me ;)

Where would be a good place to fish and would I be looking at trout and salmon at this time?

Any help would be great!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi dogger,

This is really a tough question to answer. Alaska fishing is different as there are no rivers with a road running along them. You will be at a great disadvantage with no boat or airplane. Your best bet is to have Rust Flying Service fly you out for a day or two of fishing. They have cabins and boats spotted at various locations. Usually for Salmon they will fly you over to Alexander Creek for a day. There are rivers you can float but you need to fly to the location and be connected with a lodge. If you have a car you can drive up the Parks Highway and fish the Willow river. It will have Grayling most of the time and Salmon at certain times of the year. You can drive down to the Kenai Peninsula and locate small lakes but you will need a boat or at least a float tube. Some of the flying services will have spots on the Kenai.

The Alaska Fish and Game has cabins at various locations and you can reserve one for a week. All that I know about are fly in only. There is the Russian River on the Kenai Peninsula. Most people fish it for Red Salmon when they are in the river for a couple of weeks. I don't think you will hit that. If you hike up the Russian you might get some trout. There is a falls and a lake above the falls. There are Rainbow in the lake. It is a long hike and if you wanted to fish the lake it would be better to fly in. There is a Fish and Game cabin on the lake. If you mange to get to the lake then fish the lower end at the out let.

There is also the Little Susitna that has Salmon certain times of the year. There is a road going out to the river along the power line but it takes 4WD unless things have changed. In town they plant trout in Sand Lake and out the highway there is Mirror Lake. Mirror Lake has Grayling but again it is better fished with a canoe. On Fort Richardson there are several lakes with Grayling. You need an in with the Military.

Unless you have a fishing friend that lives in the area or you hire someone to help you, it is not going to be easy.

Frank

dogger

Reaction score
What would you suggest for equipment? 8/9 wt or 9/10?

Thanks for the info!

wfosborn

Reaction score
If you going to be traveling a little while you're up here you can take the ferry out of Whittier if you want to see some of Prince William Sound. It stops here in Cordova and there can be some good salmon fishing around here that time of year, most of it road accessible.

I've been using an 8 weight rod up here, but I'm actually thinking of bringing it down to a 6. Even on the silvers it's not much of a fight on the 8 weight most of the time. I know quite a few people who use 6's for pretty much everything up here. Even have a friend who landed a king on a 7. But then again, we normally keep the fish we catch so we are not too worried about over-tiring them from a long fight.

dogger

Reaction score
We're going to be traveling a lot, boat, plane, ferry and car so anything from Seward to Anchorage to Fairbanks will be game.

My biggest concern is getting the right reel with a good drag. My current rod reel doesn't have much of a drag, just the clicking pawl, but normaly just strip the line in on the trout and bass around here.

Sounds like you live in Alaska wfosborn? Do the parks up there have grills and picinic areas? While I'll throw most of the fish back, would love a shore or park grilled fish. Any ideas? Our hotel just has a microwave and refrig.

wfosborn

Reaction score
Most of the parks near me have grills there, and most are right on some great fishing spots too. Where there isn't a grill, it's normally easy enough to scavenge enough wood to make a fire to cook over as well. I'm in Cordova, and no one here gets bothered if you decide to make a fire by any of the fishing holes.

I can't give you much advice on the reel drag. I use a Pflueger Trion, but I just keep the drag tight enough I don't spool out reel when I'm pulling line for casting. When I have a fish on I always palm the reel. Only advice I have on the reel is make sure it can hold plenty of line. I'm guessing you're probably going to be fishing for Silvers and they can strip out line incredibly fast when they want too.

AKWildBows

Reaction score
Stop by World Wide Angler They are the best flyshop around. They will give you good advice. It will be a good time to fish Qurtz Creek for Dollies and Bows the sockey Salmon will be spawning and the trout will be right there eatting all the eggs going down the river. Just stop by world Wide Angler and they will set you up with everthing you need for a day of fishing there. Qurtz Creek is right along the side of the road you can drive right to it.

dogger

Reaction score
What about alaskan still-water or lakes north or south or in anchorage?

Gotta think there's some good ones out there........

What is meant by the fishing regulation of X amount of fish per day/ X amount in possession.

If it says 2/day and 2 in possession, I think I get it, but am not sure. Give me an example or two. If you filet the fish nightly and freeze them, does that take it out of "possession"

Are there places that do that type of thing? We're staying in Anchorage so I am not sure what places offer that service?

dogger

wfosborn

Reaction score
Hello Dogger,

The daily limit is how many you take out of the water and kill, in possession means how many you have total that are "unpreserved," so once you process them they are out of possession. As long as you take them home and process them every night you should be fine. Freezing, canning, smoking, heavy salting & drying; pretty much anything that will keep them edible for longer than 15 days counts as long as it's not a cooler with ice.

I know in Cordova the local canneries are normally willing to take care of your fish for you, not sure about Anchorage but I'm sure there must be somewhere up there that will do the same.

I've heard many of the small lakes around Anchorage and in the valley contain trout & pike, I've never fished them though so I can't give you any advice on which ones. There is a good book called "Flyfishing Alaska" by Anthony Route that I think mentions some good places to try if memory serves . . .

Hope that helps some!

--W

wfosborn

Reaction score
Hi Dogger,

One more thing worth mentioning, on Coho (Silver) salmon if you take them out of the water at all it counts towards your daily limit, even if you release it afterwards.

--W

dogger

Reaction score
What is the thought behind not taking a silver out of the water, mortality rate on them?

Also, it is interesting about the "preserved" vs just on ICE. I'll have to dig around about places to freeze the fish.

I think some of the places that guide have that service and will hold the fish for a time period. However, will need someplace in Anchorage to freeze the fish.

I am thinking some of the lakes in the area will be a good place to take the family, let them hike, bike or picinc while I wet a line. Sounds like the lakes may be less crowded that the rivers and stream.

Overall, during August, will Alaska be busy, lots of crowds, busy highways, congestion, lines, etc or is some of that overblown? I have read that fishing rivers and streams at roadside spots is pretty crazy, what about the rest?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi dogger,

You might find this site very useful. It has an inter-active map and you can select the area you are interesting in. It has some good maps and regulations on specific waters.

Frank

wfosborn

Reaction score
Hi Dogger,

Alot of the well known rivers by the road are pretty crowded that time of year, I'm not sure about the lakes though. I'm also not sure which ones are fly-only, but those are much less crowded (at least here.) The really crowded rivers are where people are netting or using spinners to fill their freezers. There are tons of lesser-know places that you can find some good fishing at, with some luck you can find someone a little more familiar with the Anchorage fishing than I am that can point you in the right direction up there. I'm sure you'll be able to find some places the family will enjoy while you fish though.

I'm not sure why they have that rule on the Coho's, they sure are hard to release without getting them dry.

--W

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi wfosborn,

Alaska has the state broken up into areas and each area has their own rules. I wonder if this is a local rule. Whey I lived in Alaska this was not a rule where I fished but it has been 14 years. You say if it is taken out of the water. Do you mean if the fish is beached or do you mean if you pick it up out of the water? I looked for this rule in the rules but couldn't find it. I would be interested in reading the rule. I didn't look at the Cordova area though. If you have any more information I would appreciate it.

Frank

wfosborn

Reaction score
Hi Frank,

If you go here Southcentral Alaska Sport Fish Regulations, ADF&G and download the PDF for the Prince William Sound area its on the second page about 3/4 of the way down on the left. Reading it again you're actually supposed to keep any Coho you remove from the water, guess I'd forgotten that part of it . . . I don't know how long they've been doing this, I just noticed it this year. I don't look at the regulations too often though, just happened to be flipping through them looking for some other info when I noticed it and it seemed kind of important since I normally C&R the Coho's so I guess it stuck.

This page is a great reference for anyone looking at coming up to Southcentral Alaska to fish, by the way.

--W

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi wfosborn,

Thanks for the link. That is interesting. I wonder if that rule is to keep people from culling their fish. Seems like it should apply to all Salmon. May have to do with the netting they allow on the Copper River. People may be netting Silver and tossing them back to get Kings.

Frank

wfosborn

Reaction score
Hi Frank,

No problem, I know other places they have that same rule on Rainbows. Could have something to do with what fisheries/stocking is in the area maybe? I'll have to ask one of the F&G guys when they come in for coffee and let you all know.

--W

wfosborn

Reaction score
Wanted to post an update.

That regulation on the Coho's is new this year. I guess too many people didn't know how to properly release fish and there was too much mortality because of it. I guess it was only a problem with the Coho's is why the rest of the salmon are exempt from it.

--W

drewhh

Reaction score
There are tons of road access waters in southcentral Alaska.
North of Anchorage you have: Willow creek, Sheep Creek, Little Su, Big Su, Ship Creek (on the north side of Los Anchorage)
The Kenai Peninsula is where youwant to go. Russian River, Quartz creek, Kasilof River, Swanson River, Anchor River, Deep Creek and the Mighty Kenai are enough to keep you more than busy.
Use a 5-6 on the Russian and quartz for rainbows and dollies. Use an 8 for silvers anywhere and for trout on the kenai river itself.

Check the fishing report in the sunday daily news or go check the board at Sportsmans warehouse. The whole place calms down after July 31 or the close of king season.

Don't bother with a fly out unless you can afford to hire a guide or you know how to deal with the bears by yourself. Many of the most popular flyout spots are just as busy as anywhere on the roads.

It is nice to have a guide on the kenai itself but you can still catch plenty of fish just hiking in.

Buy a Milepost guide book and have fun.