Where to go in OR or WA?

mdogs444

Reaction score
A buddy and me are looking to take a trip out west for the spring (Feb-Mar) steelhead run. We currently live in Ohio (steelhead alley area) and have never been out to the PNW for steels. From what I've read, the olympia peninsula near Forks is a good destination, but I don't know much about the area, the rivers, or any cabin rentals/lodging.

Would anyone be able to provide any insight for this vacation?

jporter

Reaction score
You may look at somewhere like Tillamook, OR, you'd have the Trask and Wilson River. Both are close to town with hotels but great steelhead rivers. You might also just watch the fish reports and go were they’re running Feb-Mar isn’t a high traffic time of year for vacationers.

roryseiter

Reaction score
Forks would be a great base. There are many rivers to choose from. A guide would be well worth it. A lot depends on the river flows and number of fish returning. You don't have to plan much else until you get here.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Months mentioned are the height of the Winter fishing on the upper Rogue River. Tonne of public access; if you decide to come this way I'll tell you 'what rock' to stand on.

Can't assure there will fish in front of you, but you'll know about access. Do I sound like a hero/big mouth? Not in the least. The upper Rogue has close to 60 miles of river and the fishing pressure (there are a few exceptions) is light especially during the week. No one will even know you're there.:shades:

Last out/spots I saw a grand total of three other fishermen.

ontheflyguide

Reaction score
Months mentioned are the height of the Winter fishing on the upper Rogue River. Tonne of public access; if you decide to come this way I'll tell you 'what rock' to stand on.

Can't assure there will fish in front of you, but you'll know about access. Do I sound like a hero/big mouth? Not in the least. The upper Rogue has close to 60 miles of river and the fishing pressure (there are a few exceptions) is light especially during the week. No one will even know you're there.:shades:

Last out/spots I saw a grand total of three other fishermen.
Although this is old, I have to Agree with Fred, the Rogue offers a ton to fly fishermen during these months!

gatortransplant

Reaction score
If you're headed out to Forks (I was just there in February), check out Rain Coast Guides. Took a trip with Jim and it was the best guided trip I've ever taken. Definitely worth a shot. Plus the rivers around Forks are incredible. I can't wait to go back! But it might ruin Great Lakes steelheading for you, at least a little bit...

hollyglen

Reaction score
Any info on Cedar River around downtown Renton?

I would rather stay as far from Boeing( & Lk Wash.) as possible, there is so much water running the cedar that I could fish there everyday if I had any idea of what to do or where to do it.

I would like to head out for it this weekend,

Thanks All

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
If memory serves, right under the Library. Not kidding. That's one of the problems with Urban rivers, very little in the way of public access. But here's were Google Earth can be a God Send.

Have a King County map in front of you and do a trip up the river. Mark what appears to be 'public,' or at least accessible to the public, and mark with a highlighter.

fae

Edit: Forgot to add. GE has a setting where it gives you the coordinates. Mark these down and punch them into your GPS. You'll drive (close any way) right to the place.