Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default I swear the State of Washington changes their fishing regs. on a daily basis.

Seriously, I get (roughly) one of these per week.

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
    Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
    600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
    Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

April 9, 2013

Anglers limited to 1 salmon per day in San Juan Islands

OLYMPIA - Starting Friday (April 12), anglers fishing the San Juan Islands (Marine Area 7) will be limited to one salmon per day.

State fishery managers approved the new limit - down from two fish per day - after determining that the number of chinook salmon kept or released has exceeded pre-season projections.

"Fishing picked up in late December and held steady through the remainder of the winter fishery," said Ryan Lothrop, a fish biologist for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). "After reviewing the catch estimates, it was clear we needed to take action to control the fishery's impacts on stocks of concern."

Anglers fishing in Marine Area 7 must release any chinook not specifically marked with a clipped adipose fin as a hatchery fish. However, since some released wild chinook do not survive, they are counted toward the management guideline of 4,284 total encounters with legal-size chinook during the fishery.

According to preliminary estimates, anglers had kept or released 4,976 chinook in Marine Area 7 as of April 7.

Lothrop reminds anglers that Bellingham Bay remains closed to salmon fishing.

The new catch limit will ensure compliance with conservation objectives and state-tribal management plans in Puget Sound, said Lothrop. WDFW will continue to monitor the fishery in Marine Area 7 through April 30, when it is scheduled to close.

Anglers should check for updates on WDFW's Fishing Hotline (360-902-2500) or the department's website at Fishing and Shellfishing Regulations & Seasons | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife .

This message has been sent to the WDFW Regulatory Information mailing list.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Default Re: I swear the State of Washington changes their fishing regs. on a daily basis.

I wish they would allow the trout streams to be open sooner and longer.

Hard to look at threads about others being able to fish year 'round! UGH!

Default Re: I swear the State of Washington changes their fishing regs. on a daily basis.

So hear you Mr. W. Good thing about the Rogue being on my door step is fishing is 'open' year around. Just a question of what you can legally fish for at the moment.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Do they base these changes on weekly salmon #'s or is it just random?

Either way it would be annoying to keep track of but doubly so if the changes don't serve a purpose. I rarely ever harvest a fish but if I'm going to I triple check regs. They seem simple until you start seeing all the exceptions for seasons or particular bodies of water.
    - William

Blog Entries

You'll get used to it Fred, we have what F&G calls Emergency Orders here that can be changing daily also. In order to be abreast of the current regulations those who are in the groove check the EO's every day before heading out.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    Do they base these changes on weekly salmon #'s or is it just random?

Either way it would be annoying to keep track of but doubly so if the changes don't serve a purpose. I rarely ever harvest a fish but if I'm going to I triple check regs. They seem simple until you start seeing all the exceptions for seasons or particular bodies of water.
    Don't know what the criteria may be, but there has to be a lot of 'Sophisticated Wild Ass Guessing' going on.