Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default Honeymoon in oregon, need help

I have carefully negotiated a couple of days designated to flyfishing while my fiancée and I travel along the west coast during our honeymoon. She will actually be experiencing her first true fly fishing experience there, as well, so I am pretty excited. So my question to you is, where should we go?

Pretty open to anything in the state of Oregon, and the days we will be there are from 5/26 and 5/29. I would like to take her down a river in a driftboat and then maybe wade something by myself in the morning. The Deschutes looked tempting and floatable, but I want it to be perfect for her and the occasion, and all that stuff.

Thanks for your help.
    Michael

Default Re: Honeymoon in oregon, need help

Check shutdowns and call for a guide. This drought is killing us on the west coast. Hell it was in the 80s today. Had to run the swamp cooler for a while. Umpqua and Rogue might be open all day and there was a quaint little roadside in under new ownership on the Umpqua just in from the coast about 15 miles or so with river froht property. There is good outfitter or two up by bend who can give you some good info as well. Just need to watch the drought closures. Good luck and congrats. Sounds like the bride to be is a keeper. Got my wife on a drift boat in Idaho on the Snake on our 1st anniversary. Pure luck.

3. Likes fredaevans liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by angledangle View Post
    Check shutdowns and call for a guide. This drought is killing us on the west coast. Hell it was in the 80s today. Had to run the swamp cooler for a while. Umpqua and Rogue might be open all day and there was a quaint little roadside in under new ownership on the Umpqua just in from the coast about 15 miles or so with river froht property. There is good outfitter or two up by bend who can give you some good info as well. Just need to watch the drought closures. Good luck and congrats. Sounds like the bride to be is a keeper. Got my wife on a drift boat in Idaho on the Snake on our 1st anniversary. Pure luck.
    Here's the river flow information for all rivers here in Oregon, most of them are updated every 30 mintues. End game is you're looking a 'real time.' USGS Current Water Data for Oregon

At the point you'll be traveling down the coast you really are 'tween seasons' for most of our fish. So fish as low in the river as you can get; Rogue River is your best bet. Fully agree you check in with local guides and tackle stores for (then) current info.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

A late follow-up, but we ended up floating the McKenzie River with Helfrich Outfitters. Our trip was amazing. Our guide (Kelsey) was on top of everything and saw to it that we caught a lot of rainbows (most in the 10-12" range) topped off with a shore lunch of fresh trout, mostly on soft hackle style wets. My wife's first fly fishing experience was one for the ages.

FB_IMG_1517334484120.jpg

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Congratulations.

Sounds like you had a good time.
    Today is always the first day of the rest of your life.
    Use it wisely.

Paul

Man, that was 3 years ago. It's time for your second honeymoon trip.

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Wish I'd have seen this earlier. I have a colleague that lives in Oregon. He's a long time fly fisher. He's shared some pics of monster browns and bows from home. I would have hit him up for some locations.

Oops!! Just now seeing this post is 3 years old.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."