Honeymoon in oregon, need help

mfick

Reaction score
I have carefully negotiated a couple of days designated to flyfishing while my fiancée and I travel along the west coast during our honeymoon. She will actually be experiencing her first true fly fishing experience there, as well, so I am pretty excited. So my question to you is, where should we go?

Pretty open to anything in the state of Oregon, and the days we will be there are from 5/26 and 5/29. I would like to take her down a river in a driftboat and then maybe wade something by myself in the morning. The Deschutes looked tempting and floatable, but I want it to be perfect for her and the occasion, and all that stuff.

Thanks for your help.
Michael

angledangle

Reaction score
Check shutdowns and call for a guide. This drought is killing us on the west coast. Hell it was in the 80s today. Had to run the swamp cooler for a while. Umpqua and Rogue might be open all day and there was a quaint little roadside in under new ownership on the Umpqua just in from the coast about 15 miles or so with river froht property. There is good outfitter or two up by bend who can give you some good info as well. Just need to watch the drought closures. Good luck and congrats. Sounds like the bride to be is a keeper. Got my wife on a drift boat in Idaho on the Snake on our 1st anniversary. Pure luck.:D

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Check shutdowns and call for a guide. This drought is killing us on the west coast. Hell it was in the 80s today. Had to run the swamp cooler for a while. Umpqua and Rogue might be open all day and there was a quaint little roadside in under new ownership on the Umpqua just in from the coast about 15 miles or so with river froht property. There is good outfitter or two up by bend who can give you some good info as well. Just need to watch the drought closures. Good luck and congrats. Sounds like the bride to be is a keeper. Got my wife on a drift boat in Idaho on the Snake on our 1st anniversary. Pure luck.:D
Here's the river flow information for all rivers here in Oregon, most of them are updated every 30 mintues. End game is you're looking a 'real time.' USGS Current Water Data for Oregon

At the point you'll be traveling down the coast you really are 'tween seasons' for most of our fish. So fish as low in the river as you can get; Rogue River is your best bet. Fully agree you check in with local guides and tackle stores for (then) current info.

mfick

Reaction score
A late follow-up, but we ended up floating the McKenzie River with Helfrich Outfitters. Our trip was amazing. Our guide (Kelsey) was on top of everything and saw to it that we caught a lot of rainbows (most in the 10-12" range) topped off with a shore lunch of fresh trout, mostly on soft hackle style wets. My wife's first fly fishing experience was one for the ages.

FB_IMG_1517334484120.jpg

kayo

Reaction score
Man, that was 3 years ago. It's time for your second honeymoon trip.

kevind62

Reaction score
Wish I'd have seen this earlier. I have a colleague that lives in Oregon. He's a long time fly fisher. He's shared some pics of monster browns and bows from home. I would have hit him up for some locations.

Oops!! Just now seeing this post is 3 years old.