Is Winter your off season?

flyangler68

Reaction score
Finding that I am leaning more to becoming a trout bum than Steelhead aficionado it is my belief that trout tend to bed down for the winter. Is this true in the PACNW and if so, what do you do in the off season while you wait for March? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

mikechell

Reaction score
Or you could move to the South East (Florida) and fish for Bass, Sunfish and salt water species all year long.

plecain

Reaction score
Some places around here (NH- Maine-MA) are good all winter.

December is often a very good month for me.

Some rivers stay open, but most, unfortunately, get covered with snow and ice.

In NH, most streams are closed on October 16, and re-open on January 1.

As to what I do besides fish here - I'll have a trip to FL in there.
Also, this is a good time to build whatever rod(s) I want for next year. I have three in the queue at the moment.

flyangler68

Reaction score
So would you consider December to March a rebuilding time? Maybe research flies or critique your cast?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

guest64

Account on hold
Reaction score
Not that familiar with conditions in the PACNW. However, here in Minnesota (which I imagine has colder winters), I fish trout 12 months of the year.

Most of our streams have a lot of spring water, don't get much below 40 degrees, and don't freeze over. So if you can deal with the air temp and snow cover, you can fish open water stream trout.

Fish do slow down when water temps are in the high 30s to low 40s. They tend to bunch up and hunker down in deeper and slower water than at other times of the year. It's a great opportunity to practice and improve your nymph fishing. Fish, typically, won't move far off the bottom or out of their lane. So you usually need to get a deep, dead drift and detect subtle strikes. However, if you can find fish and work out the drift and strike detection, you can sometimes catch quite a few fish out of a single run / pool. On occasion, I've run into short hatches of midges and Baetis (early or late in the winter) and caught fish on dry flies in the winter. Always fun to see midges sprinkled like black pepper on bank side snow.

If you've got open water (and it's legal), I would get out there and fish. Get a stream thermometer and use it to find slightly warmer water. Work on your deep nymphing technique (which will pay dividends all year). Don't count on it, but you might even run into a midge or Baetis hatch and catch fish on dry flies.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely down time here, it's always possible to get a trip to the south when temperatures are above 30 but they are few and far between. I tie all the flies I'll need next season and try to be organized in the spring. If we have a mild streak in March I get to go steelhead fishing but that will be the soonest I figure.

Ard