Where to Move Too????

whalensdad

Reaction score
So my wife and I are planning on moving from Central NY. I'm not retiring, but I work virtually, so can live just about anywhere. One area of the country we are contemplating is the Pacific NorthWest. What are the fishing opportunities in the following locations:
Medford
Bend
Eugene
Portland
Seattle

Where would you recommend moving?

comeonavs

Reaction score
I grew up in Medford was there 1973-1999. For fly fishing you have some excellent Salmon and Steelhead fishing with the Rogue River flowing through the middle of the valley. You also have some nice mountain streams out towards the Applegate (Ruch) area , and more up towards the headwaters of the Rogue towards Crater Lake area.

My $.02 if I was moving to Oregon and fishing was my goal I would look at Bend first then Eugene. Bend has the Deschutes and other fine waters and you can be in Medford in 2.5 hours if you want to fish the Salmon or Steelhead on the rogue. You could be in Eugene to fish the Willamette in 90 minutes or so and another 90 to the coast. I find Medford to be a bit of a depressed city. Bend and Eugene have more culture and "things to do" so to speak.

One nice thing about Oregon in general is if you pick the middle of the state you can be anywhere virtually in under 3 hours.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
My $.02 if I was moving to Oregon and fishing was my goal I would look at Bend first then Eugene. Bend has the Deschutes and other fine waters and you can be in Medford in 2.5 hours if you want to fish the Salmon or Steelhead on the rogue. You could be in Eugene to fish the Willamette in 90 minutes or so and another 90 to the coast. I find Medford to be a bit of a depressed city. Bend and Eugene have more culture and "things to do" so to speak.
+1 for Bend, OR!!!!!!

dillon

Reaction score
The Pacific Northwest is a nice place to experience an outdoor lifestyle. As mentioned above you can easily travel around most of Oregon to fish. Generally, west of the cascades has more salmon and steelhead opportunities and the east side has more wild trout streams and some very good lake fishing. Many of the quality lakes are near Bend and it has some pretty trout streams in the area. However, I find the stream fishing a bit lacking in regards to quality dry fly trout fishing. For that I head further east of Oregon. The Bend area has some great golf courses and it's getting more populated every day, as is Portland...

Last edited:

whalensdad

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. We're going to try for a trip in the early part of next year to see the PNW when the weather ain't so great. In the end, its up to my wife :)

cletus

Reaction score
+3 for Bend. Lived in Portland for 4 years and Bend for 6. Great town, great fishing, close to everything. It's as sunny and dry as Portland is rainy and wet

yikes

Reaction score
My relatives from Bend say that OSU is opening their "Cascades" campus in town. They anticipate a significant increase in traffic, but the campus planners have assumed that everyone wants to ride bikes instead of drive and park, even in snowy weather. You might expect some change in the town's character the years ahead.

boogeyklat

Reaction score
I have a job opportunity near Applegate. I am really love fishing dry fly fishing for trout. Is there anything close for this type of fishing? I read something about mountain streams? Can anyone give me an idea of what I would be getting myself into on the fly fishing front?

quest4adv

Reaction score
Have you considered Southern CO or Northern NM?

Lots of great fishing here, nice climate. I too work from home and could move anywhere, we decided two years ago to get out of Florida and ended up here in NM.

Red Owl

Reaction score
What part of new mexico? I'm in Florida and thinking about a move.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
"I find Medford to be a bit of a depressed city."

Anything but 'depressed.' Would I live in Medford? No but the surrounding communities (I'm in what's called White City-just north .. but it isn't). Lots of lake fishing, the Rogue River and my fav. for trout is the Rogue Head waters above Lost Creek lake.

Tonne of easy access, very little of it would require a 4x4, as the road runs right along the river. Easy access to the Coastal streams but it will be a 4 hour drive so not a 'day trip.':punk:

As a last note, if you have 'medical issues' the Medford area is your place of choice. Several major (like really MAJOR) Hospitals in the immediate area, emergency service is top end .... I've had the opportunity to test that in December.:eek: I'm still paying off my portion of the $21,000 plus bill.

I hadn't finished the 911 calls when fellows were coming in the front door! :eek:

JoJer

Reaction score
Idaho can locate you more centrally to everywhere in the NW. But there are no fish here.
Also, Or-e-gon state parks have it all over I-D-ho.
Look at their Yurts and reserve ahead.

Red Owl

Reaction score
No, retired. Can live anywhere. I like Taos but also Silver City. Has to have some mountains. Maybe south of Durango. Need public land to romp around.
Oregon also on short list- steelhead, etc.

el jefe

Reaction score
No, retired. Can live anywhere. I like Taos but also Silver City. Has to have some mountains. Maybe south of Durango. Need public land to romp around.
Oregon also on short list- steelhead, etc.
Not as much fishing in the Silver City area.

Taos is nice, you have access to several small streams, and then there is the Rio Grande. If you're a mountain goat, you can get to some pretty good fishing. The more accessible fishing along the Rio Grande is on or off, it seems.

The Four Corners area (northwest New Mexico/southwest Colorado) offers a lot of jumping off points. In a few hours or less, you can get to all kinds of well-known fishing: San Juan, Dolores, Animas, Rio Grande in CO, Chama, etc.

I'll PM you a specific thought.