Upper Rogue River Holy water?

Vans

Reaction score
Has anyone here on the forums fished this section of the Rogue?

From a random website...

Holy Water

The so-called "Holy Water" section of the Rogue is open year round for fly-fishing only. It is a short stretch - barely half a mile long - between Lost Creek Dam and the salmon hatchery's diversion dam. Rainbow trout are stocked as fingerlings. Freed from competition from anadromous fish and protected from meat fishermen by catch-anc-release regulations, they quickly grow large in the rich tailwater. Most . . .fall into the 15 - 20-inch range. But there are some really big ones out there.

I am really intrigued by this spot and am hoping to get down there next summer when we have some more vacation time. I am just curious if anyone has any first hand experience there with the area and any campgrounds or rv parks near by.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Van,

Our member Fred Evans lives right in that area and has been fishing it for almost as long as I have been alive. He will see this post or you can send him a PM. Look for his posts in the Spey threads here. To find the Spey threads click Forums and scroll down and you will find them.

Ard

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Sorry. I have not fished this area, but forum member, Fredaevans, should be able to tell you more about this since he lives in the region.

If I recall correctly, there are campgrounds/RV parks downstream at Shady Cove.

MP

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
First a bit of an apology, I just didn't see the posted thread, had I, would have responded. Thanks for the PM, but lets get down to business.:thmbup:

Oregon's Fish and Game puts out the following report a couple of times per month and it's generally pretty accurate .. save for dated info. The following link should be our area:
Recreation Report: Southwest Zone: Fishing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

The 'Myth' of the Holy Waters having a lot of very large fish is just that ... a myth. There are a few as this is where the Hatchery Guys 'dump' the older trout that they use for spawning purposes. In the main, a 12" trout would be 'a catch.'

As far as good fishing goes it's all water output from the dam that counts as this is exactly where the water goes: 1800 472 2434 will give you the needed info. As the out flows go up, the places you can successfully fish (from) go down. Best is 1500 cfs, or less. Those flows give you lots of access beyond getting your boots wet (ya, much of it - north side in particular - is pretty deep stuff. You will not be wading, you'll be fishing off the rock wall.

From the Hatchery side (above the diversionary dam, think that's what you'd call same:fishing:) there's far better access for waders. To break the water down into three sections there's the upper part just below the dam (my favorite place to fish) with an island about 1/3'rd the way across, the middle part that allows for wading quite far out ... and cast as far out as you can!!. And the lower 1/3'rd. This is tough to fish unless the dam flow is quite low.

Here is where you can have a total ball. Wade out from the Parking lot (a park, you can't miss same) and fish on down stream. Again a looooong cast is best as these fish are spooky during the day, but will take either a sunk or dry fly. And it can be a total hoot if they're 'cooperative.'

A few other thoughts: First this is a C & R bit of water AND BARBLESS HOOKS ONLY. If you've low water (and warm weather conditions) some of us 'nut cases' will hit the upper section and swim** (yes, swim:thmbup:) across to the island and fish the far side. This is where the Puppies tend to hang out in numbers.

As for stocking this bit of water, it gets very little if anything. BUT the lake above and the three stems of the Rogue that flow into same are heavily stocked with legal sized fish (up to 50K per year). For a good over view of these waters 'hunt down' the current issue of SalmonTroutSteelhead as this section of the river is a feature article and pretty much dead on.

The other thing you'll want (as your new to the area) is get the Streamborn map of the Rogue. Covers the river from Crater Lake all the way down to Gold Beach. Best part? The thing is DEAD ON, right down to the 1/10th of a mile (and what you'll find when you get there). Having same will save you a lot of screwing around.

For all these waters a 3-5 wt rod is all you'll need ... and flies from (a max) of a #10 down to 18's. Bigger will just get you casting practice .. unless you hit the main stem of the river below and want to chase Steelhead.:fishing::fishing:

Anyway, hope some/all of the above is/was a bit helpful.

Fred

** Don't know if floating devises are allowed, but I've never seen one. fae

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Sorry. I have not fished this area, but forum member, Fredaevans, should be able to tell you more about this since he lives in the region.

If I recall correctly, there are campgrounds/RV parks downstream at Shady Cove.

MP
To expand on the above. The RV parks (full service) are right on the main road in Shady Cove. Tent/small RV 'dry' camping would be at Rogue-Elk Park. (Darned good water for steelhead at the very top and at the bottom where Elk \Creek flows in.) during their 'open season.' The only two full service RV parks are just before you cross the river into the main business section (left side of Hwy 62) and just after you cross the bridge (on your right). Of the two, the second one is your best bet for 'reservations' as it's far larger. Both of these two have very good fishing water right in front of same.

Fred

Vans

Reaction score
Thanks for the info FAE. I appreciate it. If i do make it down there next spring or summer i will report back.

Reaction score
RE: The Holy Water Here are some areas to consider. (Spent a bunch of time helping ODF&W on research here)

The trough between the hatchery side shore and the island just below the dam. Many hang out in this trough and at the downstream end of the island. There is also, depending on flow amount, a backwash along that same shore just below the island that fishes well.

Just below the narrows out of the cauldron below the dam. Plenty in this slot on both sides. Decent sizes with best one I've done there at 23". You can wade on both side, but be careful. There is a slime on the rocks and a sudden drop-off on both sides. This area fishes well for about 500' below the narrows on both sides.

Hatchery side parking lot. Short bar out into river with good drop off below it. Watch out for snag but can be productive. Across river is a group of boulders. Above that is the old boat ramp and, just below the ramp, is another bar. Fishing below that bar can bring on some nice ones.

Lower end, hatchery side. Nice bar that reaches nearly across the river and runs downstream from its start at maybe 60 degrees to water flow. LOTS of fish hang out below that bar and range in size from the 6" to about 21". Watch for drop off from the bar and lots of aquatic plant growth below the bar. Fishing both sides can be very productive.

Floating? Yes, you can float it from just below the island in the dam cauldron down, but no motor. Productive? I've had 50+ fish days too many times to count. Especially in the deeper, slower, water along the bank on the "west" side across from all of the willow growth on the hatchery side.

Fishing with a Type 3 sinking has been the most productive.

If you want you can email me and I'll send you a cd with photos and info on the Holy Water. flyfishingphil@ffpc-rods.com. (You decide what it's worth. Shipping usually about $3)

Reaction score
Thanks Fred. Did it for several years whne I needed a "quick fix" (just about weekly). Just moved to Gresham and have to find a similar place on the Sandy or Clackamas for the same purpose

fredaevans

Reaction score
Thanks Fred. Did it for several years whne I needed a "quick fix" (just about weekly). Just moved to Gresham and have to find a similar place on the Sandy or Clackamas for the same purpose
Well, looks like you're going to have to modify your 'details,' you've still got Central Point there.:D Actually don't know a lot about either of the two rivers you mentioned, but for a 'quick fix' two places come to mind. Upper/lower Oxbow Park (same place as the Sandy River Spey 'Clave) or the runs just up-stream from Oregon City (think that's the name of the town) where the Clack' dumps into the Willamette.

With the later, lots of on street parking, just walk down the stream bank hill and you're good to go.

fae

submariner

Reaction score
I drove up there last week after work. It looked good but did not fish there. I will swing by there next time I got to work in Prospect and throw a line in the water. I would imagine not many go there due to location and due to catch and release. It is also kind of hiden. you have to go to the dam for the hatchery cross over and drive on up to the lake dam. I did not even think of some place up there to fish.

I did fish downstream of the hatchery and caught a couple of nice 12' ranbows and did see a couple of big salmon jump. had to be 30"+'s.

fredaevans

Reaction score
I drove up there last week after work. It looked good but did not fish there. I will swing by there next time I got to work in Prospect and throw a line in the water. I would imagine not many go there due to location and due to catch and release. It is also kind of hiden. you have to go to the dam for the hatchery cross over and drive on up to the lake dam. I did not even think of some place up there to fish.

I did fish downstream of the hatchery and caught a couple of nice 12' ranbows and did see a couple of big salmon jump. had to be 30"+'s.
Had to do a small giggle Sub., that's all that's left in me at the moment save for more sleep. Just off on responding to PM's about fishing the Holy Waters. To keep this simple, I told him what rocks to stand on, what to expect, where to cast, etc.

Again, MANY THANKS to you and Co-worker for saving my Toast on Friday. I can only imagine what would have been the result if I'd been actually driving. Close to a total physical 'spin in' in the Forestry Service office.