Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going to alaska

1. Default going to alaska

i am going to Alaska i am going to mostly do deep sea fishing, but there are some streams and it is in a cove and there last time i went there was someone fishing for sea bass or rockfish in the cove with spinning gear. what type of flies are good for rock fish or sea bass in Alaska?
    wynoochee or wynoochye?that tis the question

Default Re: going to Alaska

Hi fin??whatfin??,

If you are fishing for Rock Fish I am afraid a fly rod is not the best tool. Rock fish can be very deep. You would be better off targeting Halibut but not with a fly rod. The commercial harvesting of rock fish was allowed to damage the fishery before it was determined that rock fish are slow to mature. If you want to fly fish on your trip you should try the streams you mentioned.

Frank

3. Default Re: going to alaska

Hi fin,

When are you coming up to Alaska? Depending on the time of year there are a lot of salmon that come into some of the coves that could offer some good fly fishing.

--W

4. Default Re: going to alaska

if I went to alaska I would have to hit up bus 142
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

Default Re: going to alaska

Hi 'fin',

You don't mention when you'll be going or to which area, but I agree with wfosborn that salmon in the coves can be exciting and productive on flies—depending on the time you go.

In addition, I would also suggest looking for Dolly Varden near the mouths of streams.

Allen R
    Snake River Plain

6. Default Re: going to alaska

i am going up on June 21st. I would fish after we got our limit of salmon/halibut out at sea. it is on an island called elfin cove.

7. Default Re: going to alaska

Hi fin,

The Sockeye's will probably be running then, my personal favorite on the fly rod, but very picky about taking a fly. Depending on the area, Chinook can also be caught then. And yes, the Dolly are in most of the coves with streams that have salmon fry coming out of them right now. I was hooking one on every cast today. I've never fished down there, but I hear there are tons of small streams around there with trout, so I'm sure you can find something great to catch when your done fishing in the deep water!

--W

Quote Originally Posted by fin??whatfin?? View Post
    i am going up on June 21st. I would fish after we got our limit of salmon/halibut out at sea. it is on an island called elfin cove.
    Great. Elfin Cove is a fine village with great fishing. Coincidentally, we are flying in to a friend's place over on Lemesurier Island (between Chichagof Island where EC is and Glacier Bay) on Sat the 28th.

Have fun.

Allen R
    Snake River Plain

Blog Entries

All this talk about fishing Alaska sure is making me envious. Hope you guys post some pics for the rest of us to enjoy! I sure miss the fishing there, maybe next year I will plan another trip!

Larry

10. Default Re: going to alaska

thanks for the advice i will bring back pictures. hopefully one of a 200 + lb halibut. i love halibut not fly fishing but still fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast