access Lower Dechutes Wildlife Area

Red Owl

Reaction score
I'll be in the area just a day or two but I wanted to get over (from Portland) to the Dechutes and fly fish for steel head (or salmon). There is a state park at the mouth of the river and as much as I can figure, you park there and hike in.
Any how....for anyone who has been there- I need some advice. Where is the best access by car? Are there better areas to park farther upstream? Which bank, east or west is best...or is the river shallow enough to wade all the way across? Thanks for any help. :cool:

Red Owl

Reaction score
I didn't think to google it, you can see trails and it looks like a lot of places to wade. Thanks

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Not to worry, even with places I know well, things change. Almost zero chance of flooding-river changing here on the Upper Rogue ... but it does happen.

With places I haven't fished (never or in a long time) Google Earth is my good buddy.

fae

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I haven't lived or fished there for a number of years, but the drive to Maupin from Portland isn't that much more than to the mouth.

And at Maupin you can drive along a road down stream all the way to Mack's Canyon. Miles and miles of prime steelhead (and trout) water. It's not that the water at the mouth isn't good, but the stretch downstream from Maupin is legendary and should not be missed.

And the fish there have always seemed more receptive to a swung wet fly on a floating line than those in the lower river. But I would gladly fish either this weekend if I had the chance.

Enjoy whatever water you decide to fish.

SGS

dillon

Reaction score
It's a two hour drive from Portland to Maupin and about 90 minutes to the mouth. The summer/fall fishing has been generally slow this year. However, there are fish around that can be found with a little luck. The main factor this time of year is the weather. It has been snowing in the mountains and it can be cold and windy on the river. That being said, roads are usually cleared over the pass and calm days on the river are frequent too. One just needs to keep an eye on the weather forecasts and plan the trip accordingly. The safest drive is through the gorge as the mountain is bypassed. There are also a several other steelhead options closer to Portland.