up coming trip help

Red Owl

Reaction score
I'm planning a combination fishing and sight seeing trip to Oregon/Washington in June or July. Probably middle to late June as the days are longest. I'll be making a big circle with MT. Rainier towards the end of the trip. I'll then head toward the Columbia River (fly in and out from Portland).
There are many fine rivers but from what I've read some are best fished from a boat or don't have good access. I'd either wade or cast from shore and target summer steelhead. I'll start in Oregon on the Dechutes but at trip's end I thought I'd check out any Washington Rivers that have a summer steel head run, are wadable or can be fished from shore.
Any suggestions welcomed.

flav

Reaction score
June is early for the lower Deschutes and N umpqua. There will be fish around then, but mid July is nicer on both rivers. Numbers still won't be big then, but pressure is light and fish will be wild and hot. Mid August is the start of the big push of fish on the Deschutes. To fish the Deschutes, hike up from the state park at the mouth, the fish will be in the lower 25 miles. In either river fish early and late, and look for shade the 10 hours in between.

June is better on rivers lower in the Comumbia system like the Sandy and Willamette and its tributaries. Returns have been low the last few years, even in prime time (Sept-Oct) pressure has been light and fish hard to find.