State of the North Fork Stillaguamish Steelhead Fishery

riplipper

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm lining up a trip to Ross Lake in the North Cascades in late July and would love to fish the N. Fork Stilly for a day or two on the back end.

I am not super familiar with the rivers in the area. Knowing the historical deterioration of the run, along with the devastating slide a couple years back in Oso, left me wondering the state of the Steelhead in the river, particuraly the wild Deer Creek Steelies of lore.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for any hot tips or holes or anything like that, just curious the health of the run in the last 5 years or so and whether there is even a legitamite non-hatchery summer fishery any more. There is surpisingly little info out there and I would love to hear what's going on.

Thanks in advance for any info you all got.

dillon

Reaction score
The river is legendary. Although I have never fished or seen it, I have read much about it, and it was a place that steelhead dreams are made of. I have seen the Skagit and briefly fished the Sauk. I only wish I had taken the time to see the NF. IMO, It would be worth the trip, just to see it, as the experience would be worth more than catching a fish...

Last edited:

riplipper

Reaction score
Yes, I am very excited to check it out. Not much concerned with catching tons of fish, and so long as its open I'll be swinging through (pun intended).

Actually planning on going up to the Skagit and Sauk early on in April and potentially some OP rivers late March. A beautiful part of the country I'm looking forward to explore further.

dillon

Reaction score
I spoke with someone that lives near the Skagit last weekend. According to him, the river and its tributaries are closed to fishing indefinitely. If you intend to fish on your trip you might want to look into this ahead of time.

flytie09

Reaction score
Contact Anil at Puget Sound Fly Co in Tacoma, WA. He can give you intel and guide suggestions.