Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Interesting Steelhead Debate - Hatchery vs Hatchery Brood stock vs Wild

Repeat post
    Last edited by flytie09; 03-17-2019 at 06:39 AM.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Default Re: Interesting Steelhead Debate - Hatchery vs Hatchery Brood stock vs Wild

Now...I am a reasonable individual and will listen to both perspective. I'd say the gentlemen at Addicted didn't convey the message of the broodstocking program as well as 'Hatchery and Wild' does.....

You will notice some noticeable names within this sport like Jim Teeny, Willie and Clackcraft are behind the program and yes....guides.....with agendas, I know.

The thing that I found most interesting from the short video was of Redd Zone's Salmon Egg Planter device. I couldn't find much out there on this technology. Now hear me out.....if we take the eggs and milt from wild fish and supplant alevin in gravel using this nifty device......what then. Their life in hatcheries would be minimal as would the negative effects from being raised to smolts in hatcheries. Wild fish....could remain as close to wild as possible. This could be studied in several controlled environments. And either continued or not going forward based on these results. Now this sounds costly.....but we're raising $2500 fish already.

To me hatcheries should only be a stop gap measure to boost the wild populations to reasonable levels in systems where populations were at serious risk of extirpation. Hatcheries are simply a reality for systems that are completely lost.

Therein is the dilemma... where politics comes into play. What about operating budgets...mothballing of all of these hatcheries and the corresponding jobs. Well...they can become guides then.

These fish are tough and highly adaptive. And if noone was around to molest their natural behavior.....that they would be everywhere just like they were before we started calling them salmon trout.

This all makes my head hurt. To think I wanted to be a fish biologist.......

~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

The Redd Zone planter device sounds similar to the defunct hatch box program. Hatch boxes were instream devices where fertilized eggs were placed. Then the juvenile fish were released to fend for themselves. While the egg to alevin survival rate was high the program did not increase the number of returning adults because a streams habitat can only support a certain number of the fish. So, the key is to improve habitat. Planting a stream may help to restore streams that have been devoid of steelhead. But again, the key is to restore habitat.

I don't no what's currently going on with the Elwah river in Washington. After the dam with no fish ladder was removed wild fish advocates supported leaving the river alone to let it restore its wild runs naturally. Resident rainbows above the dam, now ha e access to the ocean and other stray steelhead could also move in to recolonize the upper Elwah. But, the hatchery advocates wanted a hatchery on the lower river and wanted to artificially seed the upper river.

As far as I know, the sole purpose of hatcheries is to produce fish for harvest and have nothing to do with increasing wild fish populations.

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    The Redd Zone planter device sounds similar to the defunct hatch box program. Hatch boxes were instream devices where fertilized eggs were placed. Then the juvenile fish were released to fend for themselves. While the egg to alevin survival rate was high the program did not increase the number of returning adults because a streams habitat can only support a certain number of the fish. So, the key is to improve habitat. Planting a stream may help to restore streams that have been devoid of steelhead. But again, the key is to restore habitat.

I don't no what's currently going on with the Elwah river in Washington. After the dam with no fish ladder was removed wild fish advocates supported leaving the river alone to let it restore its wild runs naturally. Resident rainbows above the dam, now ha e access to the ocean and other stray steelhead could also move in to recolonize the upper Elwah. But, the hatchery advocates wanted a hatchery on the lower river and wanted to artificially seed the upper river.

As far as I know, the sole purpose of hatcheries is to produce fish for harvest and have nothing to do with increasing wild fish populations.
    My understanding is the Klallam Tribe opened their hatchery to server both harvest and recovery purposes.

I think the only thing surrounding the wild/hatchery debate that is universally accepted is fixing the degraded habitats is key to wild fish recovery.
    Adoption is Amazing

I say build a hatchery on every river and let the fun begin--pretty simple

CB

It seems simple, but presently most hatchery rivers, are having low returns.

That’s what the state and federal governments though when they built the dams. It’s sad to say hatcheries might be the only final recourse. Let’s hope not and do whatever is possible to preserve the wild fish. Based on science, progress and economics..... The solution will have to be a compromise.

~Zane Grey

~Syd Glasso

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12