Sandy River Spey clinic

802flyfish

Reaction score
I’m hoping to attend the Sandy river Spey clinic this year in May. Has anyone attended in previous years? Can anyone reccomend a place to stay on a budget? I was thinking about camping at Oxford camping ground, since the clinic will be held there. Any tips or suggestions about the Area or even would be appreciated. I plan on flying from Bozeman and renting a car.

Sandy River Spey Clave 2019

dillon

Reaction score
I grew up fishing the Sandy. I have attended the clave in years past but not recently as it has grown so large, I have avoided it. Campsites are limited at Oxbow park, so they are probably reserved by now. Same with Dodge park a few miles upstream. Down river are Dabney and Lewis and Clark parks, but Im pretty sure they are day use only. There are a few campgrounds in the Columbia Gorge on Mt Hood or on the Clackamas river. The drives from them would be over 30 minutes. Troutdale, near the mouth of the river has a motel 6. It is about a 20 minute drive from there. People are allowed to camp just about anywhere in the Greater Portland Area, so camps are everywhere. I could suggest areas to check out, but I wouldn't advise doing it... There are also lots of air bnb's. You might also call the Fly Shop in Wemme as they are the sponsors for info. There is also probably lots of clave discussion on Spey Pages.

Last edited:

dillon

Reaction score
I just checked the Oxbow Campground websites. There are more campsites than I thought and plenty are still available with a maximum of 6 people per space. So, this of course is the best option. I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to share sites. The gates to the park close at night, which is nice for safety, peace and quiet. It's a beautiful park with old growth forests. There are a few good runs to fish with bank access that I'd be happy to share in a pm. The early summer hatchery fish will be in the river.

802flyfish

Reaction score
Dillion,

Thank you for your response. I was surprised as well on how many spots are available at Oxbow. It would be pretty convenient to have the ability to fish from my campsite. I would greatly appreciate any info you would like to share via PM. I'd be glad to share any info about SW MT if you ever make it out this way.

flav

Reaction score
I've attended many times over the years, but never camped in oxbow park, it's usually booked up. It's still pretty wet in early May so bring rain gear, or consider a hotel if you don't like camping in the rain. There's cheap hotels in Gresham, but my wife prefers Clackamas because the hotels are nicer, but more expensive.
It's a great event. There will be hundreds of rods you can take down to the river and cast, so wear your waders and try lots. Don't be afraid to talk with the reps, rod builders, and presenters, they're great. Definitely hit the free breakfast and lunch.
Like Dillon said, there'll be a few early summer steelhead in the Sandy, so you can swing flies right there in one of the runs in the park. If you like to swing for trout take an evening and make the 2 hour drive to the lower Deschutes.

802flyfish

Reaction score
I ended up booking a hotel in Troutdale, seems to be only a 15 min drive to the clinic. I'll have to look into the lower Deschutes, wouldn't be opposed to driving for good fishing.