2019 Central Oregon Lakes (Photo Essay)

dillon

Reaction score
The first pic stands out amongst the other great pics n my opinion. Love the dog, he must ride ok for you to take him along or is that just a lucky picture?
That's my friend with his dog. Mack is okay if he stays put on the back. But he gets excited when a fish is hooked and goes up on the front pontoon. Sometimes he falls in and swims ashore. I prefer wade fishing.

dillon

Reaction score
I concluded my oregon desert lake fishing this week for the spring season. Fish were eating adult damsel patterns and callibaetis emergers or nymphs slowly stripped in the film. This will be my last trip over for awhile and by then the water will be too warm and weedy to fish. By then Ill be chasing summer Steelhead. It's a beautiful peaceful setting with the peaks of Jefferson, Hood and Adams dotting the horizon. These Kamloops strain Rainbows are heat tolerant and should survive the summer heat resting in the spring fed depths. Fish planted last year as 15-16 inches have gained up to six inches as insects are abundant in the alkaline water.

Almost all, if not all, Central and Eastern Oregon have lakes and ponds from an acre to over 20 areas in size. Many owners have stocked them with Kamloops or Sterile Hybrid rainbows and have discovered a new revenue source by allowing access for a daily rod fee. If you want to catch big stillwater fish on a fly, this area is definitely a place to check out. There are also many public lakes and impoundments that hold large trout as well. You can find lots of information with a google search and some of the larger bodies of water will hold up all summer despite the heat. Personally, I just fish a few ponds close to maupin, as Ive worked a yearly deal with the Ranch manager.

The highlights of this week was spending a morning on a pond with my wife and another morning with my daughter, son in law and granddaughter fishing in the boat. Everyone caught fish. Well, not the baby but she touched one. It's cool that she really understands fishing. She has a couple fishing story books and every time I see here we watch the Tenkara Kid you tube video together. I can't wait until she's old enough to handle a rod and tie a fly.

wjlapier

Reaction score
Kinda in my area. I'll have to remember for next year.

The part about the owners selling access to their lakes and ponds is is great idea. I know of such a place where the farmer charges $5 to cross his property to fish the Walla Walla for bass. I talked to him but didn't take him up on the offer.

I like the photos a lot too. Always like photo essays. Thanks for sharing.