Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Default Upper Clackamas?

I'll be in Portland for a couple of days so figured I'd hit the upper Clackamas. I did this same trip last year but didn't find any fish but didn't go too far up either. I did see plenty of spawned out salmon in the river by the shores.

I'm not fishing for Salmon or Steelhead ( I'm not even sure of the regs as of this writing ). I'm coming in from Washington state and will check regs before I go upstream.

Any suggestions from anyone who's been in the area this year? Flies in particular? I'll fish most of the day tomorrow and that's it.

Default Re: Upper Clackamas?

I consider the upper Clackamas to be above the reservoirs. I'd recommend fishing the lower river around McIver park for summer steelhead. Or, fishing one of the coastal rivers for sea run cutthroat. You could also call one of the local flyshops for advice, particularly if you really want to fish the upper clack. As far as I know the fish up there don't generally exceed six inches and most of them are probably juvenile wild salmon or steelhead. However, it's a beautiful area and there are some nice lakes with stocked rainbow trout.

I haven't fished up there in 20 years. Back then it was like Dillon said, tiny fish and mostly juvenile steelhead. There were cutties in the upper forks and some of the tribs, but also very small.
    If you go, don't leave gear visible in your rig, there were always lots of car break ins in the area.

Just got back to the hotel about an hour ago. No fish caught but I did watch a huge salmon swim around in some shallow water. It had a white tail. Pretty far upstream I thought. I saw the sign that said I was in Bull Trout country so the first thing I think is Bull Trout but then I saw it's body when it rolled and flipped while moving around.

I went all the way up to where the Clackamas spills into the Collawash ( or is it the other way around ) then went a little further. Really tough to wade in this river with the huge boulders and deep holes. I had one fish chase a streamer but that was it.

Beautiful scenery up there now.

5. Thanks oncorhynchus thanked for this post

I'm glad you had a nice day. The collawash is indeed a tributary of the Clackamas River. The Salmon was probably a Spring Chinook. The upper Clackamas was historically planted with hatchery rainbows and had a hatchery summer steelhead run. However, it is now managed for native winter steelhead, so those programs were discontinued. The bull trout (dolly varden) were introduced a few years ago. The river does not have the habitat to support a resident rainbow trout population.