Christmas Island!!!

smp005

Reaction score
Just paid my deposit for a trip to Christmas Island for Bones & GTs :D:D

Nov 13 - 21.. Fly to Honolulu and overnite then onto Christmas Island!!

Need 8wt, 10wt and 12 wt setups and the outfitter sent me samples of flies to tie..

This will be my first "Big Time" saltwater excursion - something tells me it wil not be my last!!!!!

oldskewl808

Reaction score
You should practice for a day or two here in Honolulu on some of our big Bonefish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boisker

Reaction score
My dad was there in the forces late 50's... Would love to head there one day but it's a hell of a trek from the UK... he's got some cracking old photo's

smp005

Reaction score
You should practice for a day or two here in Honolulu on some of our big Bonefish.

I am thinking about doing just that! Spend and extra day or two in Honolulu.. Researching guides - any recommendations?

oldskewl808

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing just that! Spend and extra day or two in Honolulu.. Researching guides - any recommendations?

Depends if you want to go out on a flats skiff or just wade the reef. PM me for info.

hi tide

Reaction score
Be sure to bring some Milkfish flies! What lodge you staying at? I'm heading down 4/25/17. PM if you have any questions on gear, flies etc.

Capt. Jesse Cheape

smp005

Reaction score
I have begun to gather my gear for the trip! Last week while I was in PA visiting my father I not only fished in Carlisle, I shopped there too :)

The staff at TCO in Boiling Springs helped me spec out my new 8wt setup. I was already pretty sure that the Loomis NRX was going to be my choice for my 8wt rod, but I was still undecided on a reel. I have been an Abel fan for many years but I am finding they just don't seem to balance that great with the new super light rods. TCO sells Hatch reels and they had the full lineup in the case. I was SO impressed I ended choosing the Hatch Finatic 7plus. I had researched Nautilus and Galvan as well and really like them both but the fact that TCO sells Hatch and I could actually hold the reel swayed me to Hatch :) The setup casts like a dream!

That was the BIG purchase but i also picked up a pair of SIMMS Intruder flats boots, a SIMMS Z-Sling waterproof pack, 2 SIMMS sunshirts and 2 SIMMS Superlite zip off pants!

The best part was TCO had everything in stock, so I was able to try on for size, compare to other brands, etc.. It was an expensive day but I checked off a big part of my list :)

smp005

Reaction score
I now have my 12wt setup!! That completes all the expensive equipment I needed to invest in LOL!

I ended up with a great setup for an incredible price!! I'm not a huge Ebay person but it really paid off this time. I bought a brand new, never fished hatch 12Plus with a spare spool for $700.00 from a fly shop in Montana in May and just got a brand new Orivs Helios 2 12wt 4pc for $595.00 from a fly shop in Florida!

The shop in Florida had actually sold there last one but had not taken down the ebay ad yet so when i did a buy it now, they had one dropped shipped from Orvis to me!!

It casts like a dream - Life is good :D

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Now back to tying flies and practicing my double haul!!!

camelbrass

Reaction score
Sounds great! Get out and cast the 12wt quite a bit before you go.

It's a different beast and you'll need to work on it. You don't want to have to be dialing it in when you're actually fishing.

Regards,

Trevor

smp005

Reaction score
Going to Canada in two weeks to chase big pike - gonna take it and practice casting big pike flies :)

smp005

Reaction score
I am officially inside the 30 day countdown to leaving!!! Getting gear packed, ordered leader and misc items and still tying flies!

denver1911

Reaction score
I am officially inside the 30 day countdown to leaving!!! Getting gear packed, ordered leader and misc items and still tying flies!
I am going in May and look forward to your report and also your lessons learned, packing list, what you took that was a waste of space/weight, and what you didn't take but should have.

Good luck and have a GREAT time.