CXI - Cell Phones...

smp005

Reaction score
What's the scoop on cell phone on Christmas Island? Is there coverage?

Yeah.. I know... why would I want it to work.. It's a fishing trip!

Well... I still have a business to run and it's what pays for cool fishing trips :)

Just wondering if I need to take a sat phone or just cell..

hi tide

Reaction score
Sat phone is probably the best option. Every year I tell my girlfriend I’m going to rent one to let her know I’m still alive, but never have. ? Another option is going to the Kiritibati Port Athority (KPA) which has WIFI. You can buy minutes and do your emails. The internet is like our internet from the 90’s but you still can send and receive emails. KPA isn’t to far from the Villages and if needed I’m sure you can get one of the lodge staff to take you over.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Don't you just hate people that can't put down their phones while fishing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

denver1911

Reaction score
[p
No. I don't hate people period. I might not do it that way, but it doesn't bother me that they do. Like smp, I'd like to have a little contact while away from home for a week+

smp005

Reaction score
I'm probably going to end up taking an Inmarsat IsatHub - gives me data connectivity..

Being fully disconnected during the trip is really not an option for me.. I come home, enjoy Turkey day and then leave right away for Zibo China, then onto Frankfurt.. Getting home Dec 19th - just in time for my annual Steelhead days around Christmas...

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get a satellite phone before years end, if you have one I would certainly take it. I use an old Sonim T62 that pulls in signals here where regular cell phones are blanked but there are times when there is nothing to pull in. Take it if you've got it :)

Idahoflyfishmn

Reaction score
I carry the Iridium 9575 with Emergency GEOS tracking. Basically bought it for emergency use only, for the 'blackout' zones in western Oregon and throughout the Idaho Mountains. While I use it sparingly, it provides me (and my wife) with the comfort of knowing that if I encounter an emergency while 'off the grid', I have available connectivity options. (call, emergency notification, or internet)

JTH

smp005

Reaction score

I hate myself for having to take it with me ! But it is what it is - being able to quickly check email each nite allows me to fish all day without worrying about business. Also - all you have to do is join one conf call via sat phone and your customers are blown away by your dedication :). Trust me - it works! I care about my customers 7x24x365 from anywhere in the world and I make sure they know it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Just to clear the air, when I said "hate" and posted a picture of that dashingly handsome man, I should have clarified that it is indeed me, not putting the darn phone down!
I try to stay off of it other than pictures as much as I can, but thinking back, I actually hooked my biggest brown ever while talking on the phone. Maybe I should do it more often.

repperson29

Reaction score
Just to clear the air, when I said "hate" and posted a picture of that dashingly handsome man, I should have clarified that it is indeed me, not putting the darn phone down!
I try to stay off of it other than pictures as much as I can, but thinking back, I actually hooked my biggest brown ever while talking on the phone. Maybe I should do it more often.

Funny, this same thing happened to a guy fishing next to me recently. He was in a heated discussion with line in the water, I see his bobber bobbing and have to tell him to set the hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
Funny, this same thing happened to a guy fishing next to me recently. He was in a heated discussion with line in the water, I see his bobber bobbing and have to tell him to set the hook.
I find this very sad. He is fly fishing and can't turn the phone off.

My wife and I often go out to dinner. Invariably, we see a couple, either a husband and wife, or a twosome of significant others, or even a family; and everyone is on a cell phone or electronic device. No one is actually conversing with the person/people they are with. They are ignoring each other because the electronic device is more important. Is that what we have come to?

As my wife often says to me. They can't all be on call neurosurgeons or have the nuclear codes. If I am on a cell phone when I am out with my wife, one of my patients better be dead or dying.

I'm old school. The most precious commodity is time and it is the not often given to those who should be most important.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
I find this very sad. He is fly fishing and can't turn the phone off.

My wife and I often go out to dinner. Invariably, we see a couple, either a husband and wife, or a twosome of significant others, or even a family; and everyone is on a cell phone or electronic device. No one is actually conversing with the person/people they are with. They are ignoring each other because the electronic device is more important. Is that what we have come to?

As my wife often says to me. They can't all be on call neurosurgeons or have the nuclear codes. If I am on a cell phone when I am out with my wife, one of my patients better be dead or dying.

I'm old school. The most precious commodity is time and it is the not often given to those who should be most important.
I honestly just use the phone as a camera while fishing. The ONE time I hooked a fish while on it, was when my wife was home after being diagnosed with a blood clot. I normally never answer the phone while fishing, and it's usually on silent. But in that case, I made an exception.

denver1911

Reaction score
I used to think it was sad that people couldn't get away from their phones. Now I know that what matters most is that they are happy. If a person is happiest checking their facebook whilst standing in the river, there is no reason for me to think less of them.