Cali trip

ffcc82

Reaction score
I'm coming out to Travis (Fairfield area) in a few days and I may have a couple days down time. Does anyone have any suggestions for some public access waters to fish w/ in a couple hrs travel time. Also if there's anything in particular I need to know about non-res. licensing/trout stamp etc. Any info would be much appreciated.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
You can find licensing costs here.

You can purchase your license online on the DFG website.

Putah Creek is a wild trout fishery northeast of Travis. There are five county day use access points west of the town of Winters. You can also access the river at the Highway 128 bridge. Park on the southwest side. Water is low right now, so a lighter rod like a three or four weight would be fine. Think small... like size 20 and 22.

MP

mikel

Reaction score
If I could add just a bit re Putah...it's a brushy little sucker, so you'll need to bushwhack a little bit. Plenty fishable, but certainly not just walk up and start making long false casts. It IS a good choice for you...

The fish are coming off the redds now, but the redds will be ripe with eggs for another month roughly. Try to avoid wading in the shallower, gravel bottom areas.

Regs are barbless, no take.

It's a unique and sweet stream, fun to fish. And MP is absolutely right about tiny bugs.

-Mike

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Another note about Putah. There are New Zealand Mudsnails in it. After fishing Putah, make sure to give your boots a thorough cleaning before going to another watershed.

ffcc82

Reaction score
been raining like crazy so far but it finally stopped for a day and a half so i fished for a couple hrs this morning. didnt atch anything but the water was still pretty muddy and high so i wasn't expecting anything. ill give it a shot again this morning if it doesnt rain tonight