Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  56
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Default re: Truckee river (CA not NV)

I got out on Sunday in Sparks but it was a little slow. I hooked a donkey that was easily 22 plus inches and had a nice fight but he spit my cray after a bit. A few other takes nymphing but nothing to brag about. As usual quite a few flies were lost so this week will be spent stocking up for the next trip out.
    Check out thew best page on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/383970318419257/

2. Default re: Truckee river (CA not NV)

Dying to Fish the Verdi area, any hints? RV Parking near the river is a plus, prefer Nevada side!

Get out on the Truckee, nows the time...remember the crayfish flies

Headed out tomorrow on the River for my birthday. Hoping to land a nice brown, fingers crossed.

Anybody recommend patterns that are hot?
    "It gets real snaky up in here. Lot of rattlesnakes. You run into a rattlesnake up here, just PUNCH it in the face. Just PUNCH it, thats what they tell you to do."
    Just slap'em hard right across the gills!

http://slappingills.blogspot.com/

October caddis with a midge or small copper john trailer. Remember if your not near the bottom with a nymph, your missing the fish. small EHC or caddis on top typically this time of year, but I haven't been on the river since March, so not sure what is actually hatching - these worked for me this time last year.

Dave
    ex·pe·ri·ence noun \ik-ˈspir-ē-ən(t)s\

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Hey guys. New to the forum and also the Reno area. I just moved up here for school from Elko and haven't fished the river much. I went out this morning and fished around the Mayberry Park area. Caught 4 bows, one was about 18" the others were all smaller. Caught one little brown too. I read some reports before heading out and decided to go with an orange caddis main and a hare's ear dropper, every fish I hooked into took the caddis. Fished from about 8-11 am.

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Forgot to mention my dad went with me as well. I saw him hook into 4-5 little bows. He was using an orange and green stillwater nymph on intermediate sink line.

Blog Entries

I guess that you found out that its October Caddis time.

Welcome to the site.

Dennis

Yep, it is october caddis time isnt it

According to the 30 year hatch chart:

Baetis (PTN or GRHE), Snails (Sheeps Creek Specials), Scuds and midges (birds nest, bottom rollers, etc), Caddis (October Caddis, Birds nest with red squirrel, red and orange Stimulators) are good flies to try.

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

Blog Entries

Big streamers with sink tip lines or integrated shooting heads might interest Homie.

Ive been fishing the lakes all summer, float tubes, and boats (have to get my $ worth outta the boats too).

But been hankerin to hit the river knowing its fall and the fish like the big orange caddis. I might have to just throw the rod in the truck and try a little moving water this weekend - see if I can still mend a line in the current.

d

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast