Truckee river (CA not NV)

Bigfly

Reaction score
Mid canyon on a warm day, skwallas crawling around.
Just a thought. Might be a good time to wet a line.
Give me a call if you need a little help.

Jim

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
*PerK* Skwala stoneflies. It seems like Skwala time has ended on the Lower Yuba although March Brown activity is ramping up. I may need to make the drive to the Truckee. I love fishing flies that I can thread with tippet without having to resort to the cheater glasses.

MP

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Mid canyon on a warm day, skwallas crawling around.
Just a thought. Might be a good time to wet a line.
Give me a call if you need a little help.

Jim
Jim, Friday morning... goal is to get out of the house early! Should be able to hit Truckee by 11 as long as nothing comes up.

Justin

webrx

Reaction score
I have to wait for the weekend, but am going to try to get out Sat afternoon. Been kinda breezy lately, and I have a committment on Sat morning to help a friend fix his brakes and replace a u-joint. gonna try to get out after that.

d

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Dave hit em hard! Hope you get to fight those big browns. I gotta pass till next weekend now... keeping my boy home from daycare for some father and son bonding.

webrx

Reaction score
Hoping to hit a few, gotta find a new spot though, my favorite spot has suddenly become overrun with bait and spin casters lately, with some recent construction even the little hondas and toyotas can get to it now. Before you needed a 4wd and a little knowledge to get there, now... oh well, I will find another one...

d

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
If you can make it out on Sunday at all Dave let me know. I'm finally going to hit the river but can't Sat as T ball pics rule that day.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Mosca, come on up, be good to meet ya. maybe introduce you to some of my
"leetle friends". Bring your low rider Skwallassz 12-10 and some BWO dries, and v small clump midges too.
Midges, and BWO droppers sz 22 aren't a bad idea.
Ice out on the lakes, might that interest yee?
Check my profile on fly fishing community.com. Pics of a few fish there, added to the gallery here as well.
Give me a phone call, I'm in the field more than on line. You also, Justin.

Jim

Last edited:

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Mosca, come on up, be good to meet ya. maybe introduce you to some of my
"leetle friends". Bring your low rider Skwallassz 12-10 and some BWO dries, and v small clump midges too.
Midges, and BWO droppers sz 22 aren't a bad idea.
Ice out on the lakes, might that interest yee?
Check my profile on fly fishing community.com. Pics of a few fish there, added to the gallery here as well.
Give me a phone call, I'm in the field more than on line. You also, Justin.

Jim
Jim, we'll hook up to wet a line soon... I won't be getting out for a couple weeks now with Easter on the horizon and out of town the next couple weekends. By the middle of next week, even with the storm they're calling for, I'll be jonesing to get on the water.

I'll give you a call as soon as I know I can make it out... I'm due for one of them large browns I hear are coming out of the Truckee!

Justin

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
I made it out for a little bit today but it was too windy for my taste. I decided to make this bad boy instead as I needed a new spool holder. I figured I would go all out on it and add a tool holder too.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
packfancjh: Very nice work! Looks like you will enjoy the new thread and tool organizer for years to come!

Larry

webrx

Reaction score
Very nice work, I have been thinking about doing something similar, just need to get the spring time projects out of the way....cleaning the garage, fixing the sprinklers, new sod, etc...

d

Bigfly

Reaction score
Packfancjh, I like! Anything, to make tying a little faster and easier.
The more time spent at the bench, the less time fishing. Enjoy the new set up.

Jim

Bigfly

Reaction score
Re: Truckee river opener!

All right, down to cases. Opening Day!
Flows are up out of Tahoe, water is cold but pretty clear 42-45 F. (OK a little green).
From Trout creek up to the lake, they've had no pressure for five months.
Might be a good place to try on Sat.
I've been sitting on this water for a few days, no noses. Few bugs in the air.
It is indy time. BWO's and midges, are out a bit, but depends on the weather.
Baetis nymphs are present in the seine too.
Mid canyon is pretty good at times.
Hope you get out!

Jim

simmons_j_m

Reaction score

Heading south for the opener... either little walker or east carson, still undecided. Can't wait to fish those tahoe streams soon... hope you get to wet a line as well Jim. And thanks for the report!

Justin

Bigfly

Reaction score

ALRIGHT!! March browns and skwallas!!! I hesitate to say it........Spring is here!!!!
Mbrown and BWO soft hackles are a good call. Fish the adults in the PM.
Water is off color, but not too bad. Heavier leaders are an option.
Wading is getting sporty. Be careful out there.

Jim

Bigfly

Reaction score

Officially spring, didn't freeze last night. River is up a foot in a week, and temps dropped from 50 to 43, in the same time. Color is still OK. Beautiful fish eating!
Both Browns and Bows, a couple of white fish too. Not many noses, but sub-surface is happening.
A few biggies with a stimmy (yellow/black), on the section above Truckee.
Lower flows up there, less pressure as well.
BWO's, March browns, Golden stones, small Caddis, Baetis, and of course... Midges.
Fish dark nymphs, and small soft hackles. Make some longer leaders, 9ft is sorta short right now 3-4x will do, and bring some extra weight. Wade carefully.
You guys getting out?

Jim

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score

Flows easing down, temps still chilly 43-46. Color is pretty good.
Large hatch of Baetis from Hirschdale up. Sz 22 black nymph. Masses of BWO's too when it's overcast.
Large fish in shallow waters, right up next to the bank. No noses. Be sneaky.
Green Drake nymphs are wandering about getting ready. They're about a month away from popping.
Some Cranefly hatching, as well as a March browns.
Next week, if it's warm, I expect to see Flying Ants.
This is a great time to prowl the water!

Jim

Last edited:

webrx

Reaction score

Haven't been able to get to the river lately, plus pretty blown out last time I checked, then of course we got the wind and snow and it felt like november again :)

Did get out for an hour last Saturday and saw what looked like a sulphur colored caddis hatch (yellow bodies, cream colored wings) up by lake davis last weekend, snow coming down, wind at 30 mph, and little yellow bugs landing all over my windshield, go figure.

d